SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips, tricks, & best best practices using Artemis with your board designs.
User avatar
By kainos
I have had an arduino Uno before and the max frequency of the pwm and digital channel have been default below 1kHz. Does the artemis board have pwm channels have higher rep rate frequencies?
User avatar
By robin_hodgson
The short answer is that yes, the PWM can go a lot faster.It depends on two things: how fast you clock the CTIMER that is generating the PWM, and how many total counts you want in a PWM period. For example, if you clock the CTIMER at 12 MHZ (as fast as it can go), and you set up the PWM to have a 10-bit count, then you will get a 10-bit PWM period of (12,000,000/2**10) or about 11.7 KHz.

Here is some sample code to configure a timer to generate 12-bit PWM on the CLKOUT7 GPIO at nearly 3 KHz:
Code: Select all
// Configuring the output is done by specifying the pad number, not which CTn you want.
// This seems less intuitive than specifying a CTn, but that's how it goes.
// Since each CTn maps to a specific pad, there can be no pad confusion.
// We want to drive pad 7 (CLKOUT7) which corresponds to timer output CT19.
// CT19 can be generated via any of the following timer outputs: B4OUT2 A2OUT B4OUT B1OUT2 A6OUT2 A7OUT2
// We will use timer 2A (A2OUT from the list, above):
#define PWMTEST_PAD                     7
#define PWMTEST_TIMER_NUM               2

// The PWM period for our 16-bit timer can be anything less than 65536.
// It does not have to be a power of two, either.
// For our test here, we will use a super-smooth 12-bit PWM using a 12 MHz clock
// which yields a PWM rate of 2929 Hz, or nearly 3 KHz.
#define PWM_PERIOD                      4096

void test_PWM()
  // Configure the timer to generate a repeating pulse on the chosen timer output (PWM mode)
  // This simple test will drive the PWM signal at 75% high (the first 25% is LOW, then HIGH for the remaining 75%)
    PWMTEST_TIMER_NUM,      // Which timer to use
    PWMTEST_TIMER_SEG,      // Which part of the timer to use (A, B, or both)
    (PWM_PERIOD)-1,         // PWM period length minus 1 (in clocks)
    (PWM_PERIOD)/4          // The output will be driven LOW for this many clocks, then HIGH for the remainder of the PWM period
  // Start generating PWM:
  am_hal_ctimer_start(PWMTEST_TIMER_NUM, PWMTEST_TIMER_SEG);
Here is a scope shot showing the PWM output from the test, above. The scope measures the period at 2.924 KHz with a 75% duty cycle, as expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]