SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By MarkS
Is there such a thing? What if I want to know the position of an object, say a robot or pet, but the object could care less where it is globally? The only way I can think to transmit the GPS data is to use a GPS receiver and transmit via some other protocol (Bluetooth, etc.). While this might work for short distances, what if I'm across town and want to check the location?
By RonnyM
Cell phone module. Sparkfun carries the Tellit brand. Has a built in GPS to boot! Short of that, look at Garmin Astro. Uses MURS radio transmission good for 3 to 5 miles. Takes stalking to a whole new level.
Ron
By MarkS
Cellular technology would work, but it would get a bit expensive, don't you think?
By saipan59
If you want it to work "across town", cellular seems like one of the only options, if you want to stay legal.
You might be able to do something with Amateur (HAM) packet radio, if you have a license.
FRS radios might be another option, but the range will be no more than a few blocks, I think.

Pete
By maokh
MarkS wrote:Cellular technology would work, but it would get a bit expensive, don't you think?
It depends on how many position updates you want to transmit. Prepaid can be quite cheap.
By wiml
saipan59 wrote:You might be able to do something with Amateur (HAM) packet radio, if you have a license.
You can do APRS on 2m with even the first grade of ham license (Technician).