SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By jms6731
Hi guys,

I am looking to build a small gps device that works cellularly. I want to be able to have tracking device called up remotely to track and send data to my phone or computer. I believe I just need a sim card to do this. Can someone point me in a good direction on what components I need. Endoacustica has a device like this but it is very expensive. Reading through here and checking things out, it seems like this place has what I need. I just don't know exactly what I need. thanks for any help you can provide.
By jms6731
Thank you for the reply. I have looked at that. I guess my question is more or less what else do I need to do it. To transmit and recieve it via cellular.
By leon_heller
I'm developing a tracking device using the Telit GE863 for a client. It's a lot of work and you will need a lot of hardware and software experience to get it working. The GE862 is somewhat easier to use as the PCB design is more straightforward, the GE863 uses BGA technology. It's costing us over 300 GBP just to get the devices attached to my PCBs. Unless you want something really small, as we need, go for the 862.

Leon
By ohararp
Leon,

I see how the GM862 operates using SMS pretty easily. However, are you going to implement a GPRS solution? If so, how do you actually extract the data. I assume you have to use some sort of webserver? If you or anyone else could share some light on this subject it would be very helpful.
By leon_heller
ohararp wrote:Leon,

I see how the GM862 operates using SMS pretty easily. However, are you going to implement a GPRS solution? If so, how do you actually extract the data. I assume you have to use some sort of webserver? If you or anyone else could share some light on this subject it would be very helpful.
That's the intention, but it's some way off. I need to get the basic hardware and software working first. I'm using a 16F88 PIC to control the GE863 using the hardware UART for GSM and a software UART for GPS.

Leon
By jms6731
yes exactly. Smaller you say? Thats nice. Will it transmit to a phone or computer directly? How about a tut or plans on this. I am very interested.
By leon_heller
Sorry, the design belongs to my client. The initial prototype PCB is 74 mm by 60 mm, not including the battery or antennas. The Telit modules are being put on them, I should get them back in a couple of days. I'll then assemble the other parts and start software development. The schematic is actually very simple - just 15 or so connections to the Telit module from the MCU, SIM and antennas. The only difficult part was designing the Telit module footprint, the pads aren't all on the same grid which was a bit awkward.

We might actually sell the prototype system as a development system for people wanting to use the GE863-GPS. It won't be very expensive as it uses a cheap double-sided PCB.

It can transmit directly to a phone or a PC, given a suitable service provider, as it uses GPRS as well as ordinary SMS etc.

Leon
By jms6731
Don't apologize. I understand. I wasn't looking for specifics but more or less a general idea of this. What parts it would entail and procedures that would be necessary to build one. I would rather build something like this than buy it. So I guess with that, if there is anything you CAn give me I would be most appreciative.
By leon_heller
It's just the GE863-GPS, SIM card holder, PIC16F88 and a couple of SMA sockets for the antennas - not much to it. The whole thing can be powered from 3.7V (Li-ion battery) without a regulator. I've also included a couple of LEDs, one for the 1 PPS GPS output and one for status, and a push-button. An ICD 2 connector for debugging the PIC, and that's about it!

Leon
By jms6731
Thanks for that. At least now I have an idea and starting point.