SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By tedc
Hi guys I am in the process of evaluating a GM862GPS module with a RS232 EVK v 1:1 . I do not know whether I am on the right track or not. I want to be able to install the module on my boat if it drags the anchor when I am not there or slips the mooring I would like it to send me an sms message.Am I using the right technology.I do not know whether the GPS module can sense a change in position and alert me through an sms or maybe I have to integrate some other piece of hardware.Any helpfull answers would be greatly appreciated All the best Tc :)
By leon_heller
You need a microcontroller (or a computer if you have one on the boat) to monitor the GPS data periodically and detect any change in position. It could then send an SMS message.

Leon
By tedc
Thanks Leon I do not have a computer on board can you suggest a micro computer that would do the job for me I appreciate your assistance tc
By tedc
Sorry leon that should have been a micro controller I prefer to keep everything very simple Thanks again tc
By leon_heller
Any of the simpler Olimex units sold by SFE should do - PIC or AVR.

What is the RS-232 EVK? Does that have an MCU?

You will need to develop the software, of course, or find someone who can do it for you.

Leon
By tedc
Thanks Leon At the risk of sounding really dumb what is a a PIC or AVR .The EVK RS232 Ver 1:1 is a standard serial based 50 pin breakout board sold my SFE for connecting interfaces with external power which allows interface connections so I suppose i could use it to connect the microcontroller to the module Thanks Leon
By leon_heller
tedc wrote:Thanks Leon At the risk of sounding really dumb what is a a PIC or AVR .The EVK RS232 Ver 1:1 is a standard serial based 50 pin breakout board sold my SFE for connecting interfaces with external power which allows interface connections so I suppose i could use it to connect the microcontroller to the module Thanks Leon
PICs and AVRs are micro-controllers. You could just connect the module and EVK to a suitable MCU board via the serial interface.

A suitable MCU board would be one of these:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ucts_id=17

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=360

You have to plug in your own MCU, like a PIC16F88.

You'd need a suitable programmer/debugger, like the ICD2 for the PIC, and the development tools which are free from Microchip.

Leon
By leon_heller
leon_heller wrote:
tedc wrote:Thanks Leon At the risk of sounding really dumb what is a a PIC or AVR .The EVK RS232 Ver 1:1 is a standard serial based 50 pin breakout board sold my SFE for connecting interfaces with external power which allows interface connections so I suppose i could use it to connect the microcontroller to the module Thanks Leon
PICs and AVRs are micro-controllers. You could just connect the module and EVK to a suitable MCU board via the serial interface.

A suitable MCU board would be one of these:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ucts_id=17

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=360

You have to plug in your own MCU, like a PIC16F88. I've used one of those with GSM and GPS modules, but not the one you are using.

You'd need a suitable programmer/debugger, like the ICD2 for the PIC, and the development tools which are free from Microchip.

Leon
By tedc
Many thanks Leon tc
By tedc
Hi leon Does the programmer/debugger like the ICD2 stay with the unit or is it just used to set everything up
So far to build this I need the following

GM862GPS
EVK RS232 V 1:1 evaluation board
MCU (PIC16F88) Microcontroller
MCU Board (AVR P20)

I take the ICD2 does not actually have to go with the unit and it is for programming purposes Thanks tc
By leon_heller
It's used for debugging and programming via a short lead, and is disconnected when the software is working. A similar sort of unit is available for the AVR. You don't need the AVR board, of course, if you are using the PIC.

You can debug your software by removing the chip and plugging it into a programmer, but the ICD2 makes things much easier and quicker, and is well worth the price. I use the more expensive genuine Microchip one (they replace them free if they get damaged), but the Olimex clone works just as well.

Leon
By tedc
Hi Leon I will take your advise and go with the microchip product Thanks again tc