SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By jb63
Recently got a GPS unit from a local store but can't get it to work. I did the wiring as instructed on the sparkfun page (), The unit is definitely doing something as it's blinking (not regularly), but I can't get it to talk back to the PC (WIndows 7).

Anyone got detailed step-by-step instructions to get this to work?
By jb63
I never expected a solution immediately with the first reply. My intent was to start a dialogue/discussion and maybe some other people have stumbled upon issues as well, and hence, my request for a 'step-by-step' process that might be out there.

The alternative would be for me to post tons of info about my specific configuration, both hardware and software ... and then we'll go into data overload.

But ok, we're smart enough here, and your point is well taken. Darn, I wrote a PhD thesis, I should be able to ask all the right questions ;)
By jb63
I managed to get the software to work, but now it does not get any readings ... Any clue what is wrong here?
Code: Select all
Testing TinyGPS library v. 13
by Mikal Hart

Sats HDOP Latitude  Longitude  Fix  Date       Time     Date Alt    Course Speed Card  Distance Course Card  Chars Sentences Checksum
          (deg)     (deg)      Age                      Age  (m)    --- from GPS ----  ---- to London  ----  RX    RX        Fail
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** **** ********* ********** **** ********** ******** **** ****** ****** ***** ***   *******  ****** ***   0     0         0        
**** **** ********* ********** **** ********** ******** **** ****** ****** ***** ***   *******  ****** ***   0     0         0        
By jb63
Got it to work, issue resolved!

To get the wiring/program to work, follow instructions on this page

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/176

Then, to translate the NMEA readings (in an Arduino Serial Monitor), copy/paste to this page

http://rl.se/gprmc

Do not use the TinyGPS code, it's for a demo only and does not work. It spits out only *** and does not actually talk to the GPS unit.
By jremington
Do not use the TinyGPS code, it's for a demo only and does not work. It spits out only *** and does not actually talk to the GPS unit.
Nonsense. TinyGPS works well if used correctly.
By jb63
Fair enough, TinyGPS dose NOT work directly 'out-of-the-box' and needs some serious tweaking. For beginners, and in my assessment, Tiny (no matter how great it is), is NOT the way to go ... it is not for beginners.
By jremington
needs some serious tweaking.
Can you provide the details of what you had to do to make TinyGPS work?
I have never needed to tweak it, but I'm sure that others would be interested.