SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Raynentye
As I state in the subject line, I need a Serial RS232 GPS with an antenna connector. Essentially, this GPS module will be housed in a weatherproof metal container, quite shielded from the outside world. The external antenna is a must. I need it to output serial RS232 at 4800 bps (9 Pin-D computer type) level NEMA-0183 data. I'm looking at the Venus GPS-11058. If I use the RS232 Shifter SMD No DB9 PRT-08780 would I be able to get it work as I wish?

I'm guessing wiring the RX of the shifter to the TX0 of the Venus, the TX of the Shifter to RX0 of the Venus, GND of each tied to - Power, tie VCC of the shifter to 3.3v of the Venus to + 3.3 volts, and then the other side of the shifter to the computer should do the trick.

Am I wrong? Is there another GPS module out there that will work better?

Thank you for your time in advance.
By jremington
I'm guessing wiring the RX of the shifter to the TX0 of the Venus, the TX of the Shifter to RX0 of the Venus,
My reading of the schematic for the PRT-08780 suggests the other way around.

That shifter does not provide full +/- 12 V swing as per the RS232 standard, and especially with 3.3 V power, may not work with some computers. If it doesn't, the one from Pololu does provide the full swing and should work with all RS232 devices: http://www.pololu.com/product/127
By Raynentye
Hi jremington! Thank you for the reply! I'll have to look into this further. The product you point to looks quite a bit more robust than the PRT. I'll have to order it and give it a try! Again, thank you very much!
By Raynentye
OK! I'm about to make my purchases! I'm going to stick with the Venus GPS-11058 and also buy the Pololu serial adapter you suggested jremington. As long as I tie the 3.3 volt supply to the Vcc of the Serial Adapter and the 3.3 v pad of the GPS, tie the grounds together, and then TX to RX and RX to TX of the GPS and the adapter, I should be good! I think... Can anyone see any mistakes with this?