SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By daemondust
The newer version of the datasheet says to pull the RX pin to 3.5v through a resistor if you don't use it.
By RancidWannaRiot
daemondust wrote:The newer version of the datasheet says to pull the RX pin to 3.5v through a resistor if you don't use it.
damn it.. to 3.5V?? bleh it should at least be 3.3V damn.. what kind of voltage is 3.5... man soo many issues
By daemondust
There're a lot of odd requirements for this module. From what I've found, it was specifically made for one device, and they later decided to sell it as an OEM module.

If I were doing this I would use a resistor divider. If you used about a 1.5 kohm pullup to 5v and a 3.5 kohm pulldown to ground you would get the right voltage at the RX pin and only waste 1mA.

You can search google for "resistor divider calculator" to find several pages that will find the resistor values you can use.
By RancidWannaRiot
daemondust wrote:There're a lot of odd requirements for this module. From what I've found, it was specifically made for one device, and they later decided to sell it as an OEM module.

If I were doing this I would use a resistor divider. If you used about a 1.5 kohm pullup to 5v and a 3.5 kohm pulldown to ground you would get the right voltage at the RX pin and only waste 1mA.

You can search google for "resistor divider calculator" to find several pages that will find the resistor values you can use.
I thought about that.. but is that proper??? there's no funny business with that??

I'm gonna guess no current is going to go into the RX input correct?

i found a 3.V regulator..but it's only 20mA.. that's a bit too small in my opinion..

I'm just worried that using a resistor divider will mess things up??? or do you think it woudl be fine??
By daemondust
I don't have much of a formal electrical background, but why wouldn't it work? There's almost no current flowing into the RX pin.

As far as I know, the reason most people avoid resister dividers is because they're horribly inefficient if you're drawing any appreciable current.

Someone else here can speak up if I'm wrong.
By RancidWannaRiot
daemondust wrote:I don't have much of a formal electrical background, but why wouldn't it work? There's almost no current flowing into the RX pin.

As far as I know, the reason most people avoid resister dividers is because they're horribly inefficient if you're drawing any appreciable current.

I'm just a super paranoid person..anything i haven't done in the past is questionable lol
Last edited by RancidWannaRiot on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NleahciM
daemondust wrote:I don't have much of a formal electrical background, but why wouldn't it work? There's almost no current flowing into the RX pin.

The RX input is probabaly a high impedance input to an IC. Most likely it's just the gate of a fet, so when the device is started there could be a very small amount of current to charge the gate capacitor on that fet, and then current should drop to ~0. (I think actual current would normally be in the pico amp range or less, but I'd have to check some notes I have which are halfway across the globe from me). Thus a resistor divider should work just fine. I expect you can even use ones in the M range, if that extra ma is that essential to save.

The reason resistor dividers are not always the ideal solution is because they are most accurate when current draw is 0. But again, current draw here should be so minor that it should be, essentially, 0.

One thing though - you can probabaly get away with connecting the rx pin to a 3.3v line. I believe the whole EM-406 module runs off of 3.3V, so that should not be a problem at all, and it is unclear to me why they would reccomend 3.5V.
By ohararp
http://computing.unn.ac.uk/staff/CGWH1/ ... e%20Manual' or do a search on SIRF GPS reference Manual. Something should pop right up.

Is the Sirf GPS Reference protocol. Section 1.2.6 tells you how to change the nmea sentences and baud rate via normal uart mode versus binary protocol.

Level shifting is fine and works. I still recommend using the $.08 transistor for receiving incoming nmea messages. A better description of how this works can be found at: http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6153
By RancidWannaRiot
if it's a 3.3V chip.. why does it output 2.85V?
By RancidWannaRiot
ohararp wrote:http://computing.unn.ac.uk/staff/CGWH1/ ... e%20Manual' or do a search on SIRF GPS reference Manual. Something should pop right up.

Is the Sirf GPS Reference protocol. Section 1.2.6 tells you how to change the nmea sentences and baud rate via normal uart mode versus binary protocol.

Level shifting is fine and works. I still recommend using the $.08 transistor for receiving incoming nmea messages. A better description of how this works can be found at: http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6153
thanks.. yea i'm gonna go the transistor route for level shifting..

and I'm gonna use na adjustable regulator to pull the RX pin to 3.5V.. i'm going to maek a board for the GPS.. so board space isn't as big an issue.. it still is.. but i cna add more stuff... i'm gonan go with the adjustable 3.5V regulator because then there is no question it will work... i don't want to screw up my grade in the class..

when you pull the EM406 out of the box does it send data in ASCII?? i don't understand.. what is binary mode?? i'm confused.. and what is NME protocol mode? i'm confused about the data format.. the datasheet isn't too clear on that
By daemondust
When you power it up for the first time it starts sending NMEA data at 4800 bps. That is, you get messages like
Code: Select all
$GPGGA,112434.000,3910.6119,N,08633.1331,W,1,08,1.3,274.4,M,-33.6,M,,0000*61
http://www.usglobalsat.com/downloads/NMEA_commands.pdf describes the NMEA messages you may see, and those you may send to the receiver.

SiRF binary mode is when you have the receiver use SiRF's proprietary data format. This is described in http://www.usglobalsat.com/downloads/Si ... otocol.pdf . This allows more flexibility (NMEA only describes certain messages, SiRF binary allows for more) at the cost of compatability.
By ohararp
I have left the pin floating or I direct connect it to the uPic for processing if I need it. THis might be a better option for you.

You should consider purchasing the SFE rs232 -> em406 board. You can get a lot done using hyperterminal and talking to the em406. You can also use the afforementioned sirf star demo as well.
By RancidWannaRiot
ohararp wrote:I have left the pin floating or I direct connect it to the uPic for processing if I need it. THis might be a better option for you.

You should consider purchasing the SFE rs232 -> em406 board. You can get a lot done using hyperterminal and talking to the em406. You can also use the afforementioned sirf star demo as well.
yea i'm going to buy that board...

i was looking into the USB version though.. because then i can use it with my laptops.. which is what i wil lbe using for this project..

unless there's a reason i shouldn't??

i was talk that the USB version emulates a RS232 so you can connect to hyperterminal and see the mesages...

what do you thinmk?>
By RancidWannaRiot
So if i go with the USB version will i still be able to change the baud rate.. i mean.. looking at the documentation it sounds like you cna't..

it just say's the the USB board runs at 4800 baud....