SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By artPlusData
I am working on a project where I have the Arduino Uno/SDcard/GPSshield in a small waterproof box (photos attached). This includes a nine volt battery. It will be used by an artist colleague of mine who plans on using his hikes as data for drawings and prints. Everything works when the unit is facing upward or the GPS is facing skyward. If I place it in my nylon bag and it is sideways, I do not get any useable data. This is not what I expected and I'm still wondering if I might be missing something.

Once I make this unit reliable I will place the data into Processing to see what types of things I can make happen visually.
I thought I would post this to find out if the direction it faces is critical as I assumed it would not matter.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By trialex
Not sure if I'm missing something, but the GPS antenna requires a view of the sky... Some GPS modules are more sensitive than others and are OK at various angles.
By artPlusData
Thanks
That's helpful to know.
I will try different angles but was hoping I could place it in my belt pouch while bike riding.
Would you happen to know what other GPS shields are "more sensitive"?
By artPlusData
I just saw this on the buying guide for GPS:
"Oh hey – as I mentioned, the satellites are in the sky like… 12,552 miles above you, so be sure and point the ceramic towards the sky, ok? "
Is there either a solution to making my GPS work in other positions or is there another GPS unit that has proven to be able to pick up signals without having to face skyward?
The project I am working on is for an artist friend who will hiking throughout new England. The raw data will used in Processing to produce something visual. I am trying to make it small, reliable and easy to work with.
I thought a brief explanation of the project might help.
Friends have steered me towards looking into the open-source Android apps etc but I'm sticking with this.
Thanks
By jremington
If you buy a GPS receiver module with an external antenna, only the antenna needs to be exposed and pointing at the sky. However, there will be a wire connecting the antenna to the receiver unit.

Just about any sort of covering (including tree leaves) will reduce the satellite signal to the point that less expensive receivers may not work.