SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By artPlusData
Hi
This is my first post and Im a couple of weeks into using Arduino. I have worked on this problem for days without success except that I'm getting familiar with the Arduino-uno. I have followed every tutorials on Arduino regarding GPS and SDcards using this site and gleaned information from logs and youTube videos related to getting the GPSshield to load data on to my SDcard.

I have worked through errors in the code as I try to use parts from sample sketches and opensource sites.
The GPS is blinking and I have sketches where it runs but does not produce useable data, only stars.
I set aside the SDcard part as it was not important if I could not get useable data.
If use the Sparkfun code by Aaron Weiss I only get to "waiting for lock"
I know this is not the type of information that leads to problem solving but I'm honestly thinking of uninstally Arduino plus libraries and starting over.

Is there current code or troubleshooting for this shield that.
I have eight unique sketches that I have created so I am not posting code at this point.
Could this be a hardware issue?
If so how would I be able to check that out?

Thanks
By artPlusData
I am posting this as I don't want anyone wasting their time. It appears that it was a hardware issue.

I re-checked all my pins on each board and looked over my soldering to make sure there were no bridges etc.
I also removed the SDcard shield and just connected the GPS shield to the Arduino board. This seemed to do the trick as I am getting real GPS data!
Now I'm trying to clean up the code, which prints to my SDcard.
This code is going slowly but I'll post questions later after I try to figure things out.