SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By flamingBurrito
Hey all. I'm looking to install an ipad mini into my car, and since my wifi ipad doesn't have a gps, i'm looking into external gps modules. I found a few bluetooth gpses that work, (http://bad-elf.com/products/be-gps-2200/ is one) but I haven't found one that is exactly one I'm looking for.

I would want the gps to be permanently installed in my car, so that it turns on/off with my car. All of the gpses I've found have rechargeable batteries, so they would require me to manually turn them on or off every time i get in my car. So I figured I would look into building one of my own.

From what I understand, there is a relatively new Bluetooth profile, GNSS, that is for sharing gps data. How difficult would it be to build something like this?
By Gsm Man
The problem with Bluetooth and Apple iOS devices is that Apple requires authentication of your device for any Bluetooth connection other than hands-free and headset accessories. Bluetooth data connections with iOS devices requires a discovery/pairing sequence that involves an Apple authentication co-processor on your device. You can purchase Bluetooth devices that include this (http://www.rovingnetworks.com/Apple_iOS_Support) but you need to become a member of Apple's Made for iPod (MFi) program first.
By flamingBurrito
Does that make a difference if my ipad is jailbroken? I know you can use a difference bluetooth stack if you are jailbroken.
By Gsm Man
If your ipad is jailbroken you can bypass the IAP by using another bluetooth stack
By flamingBurrito
So i skimmed the Bluetooth Spec for the GNSS profile, and from what i can understand i can just use an SPSS connection to send the gps data as long as the data is compliant with the NMEA-0183 standard. Is there anything else that I'm missing?

If not, i think this shouldnt be too difficult to implement using an arduino. (Then again, everything is way easier in theory).