SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By ipenman
Received order on Monday. Installed coin battery and one of the tabs wasn't tacked down...this does make it easy to remove the battery.
Hooked it all up and turned it on. 45 minutes later, still no satellite lock. I reviewed other forum entries and tried everything. Reformtted SD card to FAT16. Removed battery pack and coin battery and let the Lassen iQ sit for an hour.

I then used the Lassen iQ Evaluation Board - RS232 I purchased and was successfull in communicating with the Lassen iQ.

After this point I moved the Lassen iQ back to the Data Logger. Reformatted the SD card, added the GPSCON.TXT with MODE = NORMAL<CR><LF> and turned it on. Stat0 and Stat1 were flashing continuously for over an hour. I glanced over and both Stat0 and Stat1 were on. I thought..low battery turned the Logger off and replaced the batteries. Turn it back on, wandered about , turned off and removed SD card. I had some data.

Re-inserted SD card. Turned on power. It has now been flashing Stat0 and Stat1 for over with no lock.

Any ideas?

Here's an update. On for 80 minutes..nolock. Had it in the car, the in-car nav reported between 4 to 9 satellites.
Last edited by ipenman on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Machado
Hi: After reformating the card just insert it in the logger.It will create the two default files.
hope this helps
Machado
By bucweat
After you reformat the card and start the datalogger up, if the lights still flash, hit the reset button. THEN the files get created. At least that's how it works on my board.
By Machado
Hi Ipenman: In your post you said you used the evaluation board to communicate with the Lassen Iq. Did you change anything in the receiver?
You have to have $GPGGA in order to start logging.You can have another NMEA sentence selected but the default parser is $GPGGA so if you d'ont have it it wont log.
hope this helps
Regards
Artur Machado