SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By aki
The binary protocol description provided on the product page implies that one can get position information in binary format instead of NMEA format. However there is no information of what the binary position information looks like. Are there sentences like the NMEA ones? Also is it possible to poll the GPS for position information using the binary protocol rather than just receiving a continuous stream of "sentences".
The skyTraq website is about as skimpy with information as it can get. Is there some other place where one could find out more, or does anybody here have some more in depth documentation on this?
Thanks
By aki
This is actually identical to the AN that SF links to on the product description. Maybe I'm missing something, but going through the various binary messages there is no output message that contains any type of position information. The only way to get that seems to be to set up periodic NMEA messages to be sent from the unit to the host. However the introduction suggests otherwise:
Output messages, on the other hand, are information strings that GPS receiver responses to requests from hosts
and can optionally periodically reports the Position, Velocity and Time (PVT) via NMEA or binary messages."
To me it would seem that this is not correct or there are some binary output messages that contain position information, but are not mentioned in this AN.
By aki
Interesting indeed. Thank You for this information. Now I'll connect it all up and see if i can actually get this binary message out.

Thank You again,

Aki