SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Goober
Hi, hoping someone could help, I have connected the GPS LS20031 & Open logger to make a tracker, my under standing was after powering them up, I just go for a walk then when finest turn them off. I then should be able to just remove the sim card put it into my PC & open the log file. Now this is were I get stuck, the log file is a text Doc when I open it in note pad I don't know what code it is, my under standing is the GPS should log the info in a NMEA format (witch is not happening) you can then import it in to Google earth & Google makes it into a KLM file were you can see were you have been going.
Not sure were I have gone wrong. :( Do I need to change a setting or convert the text file to NMEA? the sim card is FAT32 and the only contection that I left of the GPS to the logger was the GPS RX input & the TX0 output on the logger.

Regards Goobs
By michelebavaro
Did you check for the baurates of the two devices to match before starting logging?

Mic
By Goober
Hi Mic, thanks for getting back to me, the OpenLog says it start logging any received serial data at 9600bps & the GPS on the datasheet says TTL 9600bps,
8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bits (default)
I dont no how to check to see if thay are both set the same, do I need a FTDI Basic Breakout - 3.3V for that?

This is what is in the Config File on the sim card. 9600,26,3,0,1,1 baud,escape,esc#,mode,verb,echo

And it is making a log file every time I start it up, this is a example.
Opening in notepad ++ it looks like this
#ññ,s9Ž³Å‡ÀIv.r$¡£¸9g˜Z—GÄ#ƒÀ@Á$
Opening in windows note pad it looks like this
猬踹얳蜘臀癉爮ꄤಣ㦸顧靚쑇茣䃀Ⓛഠ㎘ꗡ挢顠段ڊ葦憣 ೤ꀀ삣㄀豣ⴳׄᆪ␸鎵菀ᙲḧꌜⅡ됟Ⴀꒋ₂Ꮔᝡꁥ㒂飼₥调껡漯瀬烉礤㠃ꌠ⁀‹↌䐭Ⲁ飼⊥〃괢逈⒡而ꌠ@‱↌䐭Ⰰ釼ꄘ⊡⁣떘驫ఆ↓쁍艄➳Ⴤ挱⃄⧈ꏡ㷿놆ᦅ샧㍂䠝ꞣⓡ涹᠐ↀ✩쑃ꘙ䴠㷿놆ᦅ懧춑䠝➣ⓡ涙᠐ↀ⼩쑃ꘙ䴠᣿⃥Ѓ괂螳聡攩⒅줁聜ꈅ⁀‹↌䀽⒀ー댠ⓡБ舅쀀↘◅똟⊀ꂋ₂ᎄ
Thanks again, Goobs
By jremington
Looks like a baud rate mismatch to me. Use a FTDI or CP2101 usb-serial converter with a PC to check the baud rate of the GPS unit.
By trialex
Yeah my LS23001 defaults to 57600 after a power loss.

PS when you are changing baud rates, you need to reduce the number/frequency of sentences being output - it defaults to 5Hz of three sentences. This is too much to transfer at 4800bps, so if you try to set that baud rate first it won't work.
By Goober
Thanks guys for the help ,I have been away for a bit, but back now. So I will get my self a FTDI & check The baud rate of the GPS, I think I know what you mean trialex when you say that I need reduce the number/frequency of sentences being output. If I get stuck I know were to come. Thanks !
Goobs