SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By thealy2
I need to have my GPS transmit the data automatically to a web server where I can access it. That is the part I am struggling with. I have not purchased any products yet, just still in the design/wrapping my head around it. I need to put this on a vehicle and access the data remotely. What do I need to interface the GPS module with to transmit the data?
By Lucas Chenco
I have done a project very similar to this. To transmit data remotely you will need a GPRS module like the ADH8066.
The general outline of your task is to capture the data from the GPS with a microcontroller and then send that data to a web server from the GPRS module.
Hope that helps!
By jremington
There are lots of commercial products that do this and they are so inexpensive that a new design is hardly justified, unless it would be for fun. Just search online for "gps trackers"
By thealy2
I am doing this for my senior design project, and we looked at the GPRS. The school would like to keep this in place after we are gone and it seems that GPRS requires a monthly plan to transmit the data. We cant just use a commercial product based on the fact they want us to design our own system. We ended up using EM-406 interfaced with an Arduino and used a RF transceiver to transmit the data from the vehicles we are tracking. Thanks for your suggestions though.