SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By billmania
I found a used Locosys MC-1513 1111 LS23060 V1.0 GPS module for a very good price. The price was good because the component had been physically damaged.

The right-angle five pin header was broken off the PCB, after all five pins had been soldered. Not only were the five pads pulled from the PCB but some of the traces to those pins were also removed.

I'd like to know if:

1. this damaged module has trade-in value toward a new module
2. someone offers a service to repair the traces
3. a wiring diagram is available, which I could use to replace the missing traces
By Joeisi
1. No, probably not.
2. No, probably not.
3. No, probably not.

You could attempt to sniff out the expected signals in the unit with an oscilloscope or a logic analyzer and then green wire the pads, but it may not be worth your time.
By n1ist
Looking at the picture, at least the leftmost 3 traces are easy to follow; they go to L1, RV1, and RV2 respectively, You should be able to fly-wire to the pads of those components. Note that the one going to L1 looks like a higher current trace so you should use suitable wire.
Pins 4 and 5 are both ground. The gold blobs in the 4 corners are likely ground; you can use an ohmmeter to check that out.
/mike