SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Streamtracker
I am using an Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout (66 channel w/10 Hz updates - MTK3339 chipset) unit and mounting it to a ski helmet. The arduino is is going to be either in a backpack or fannypack. In either case there will be a cable run of several feet between the GPS module and the arduino.

I am putting the GPS module on the helmet to assure it pointing up. Maybe I don't need to do that and it will work fine in the either pack. But, I think I will get a more reliable signal from a helmet mount.

Any advice on this? It's a serial connection via the tx and rx ports. Do I need to worry about noise in the line if it is up to 3 ft. long? If so how can I design for it?

Thanks!
By fll-freak
Without a link to the specific unit you are interested in, I can only answer in generalities. If the output of the GPS module is RS-232 voltage levels, then 3 feet is not going to be a problem. With good shielded cable 100 feet would work. If the output of the GPS module is 5V or 3.3V serial than 3 feet may or may not work. You could try using a length of 9 pin shielded RS232 cable. If that does not work, then putting an RS-232 level converter on each end of the cable to boost the signal voltage would be a fall back solution.
By fll-freak
Although I do not have any person experience, I would image that in a non noisy environment a few feet from the helmet to a backback of good quality shielded cable of sufficient gauge wire should work. I would not expect it to work near motors, power lines or other noisy sources.
By Polux rsv
GPS modules don't like vibrations. Signal reception is affected, even if the antenna is pointing up. I had this problem on a race motorbike. The GPS module was fixed with welcro. Moving it to the tail and fixing it with bolts solved the problem.

Angelo