SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By sunilreddy
Hi,
I am using gps receiver gp2106.I need to interface this gps to silabs cpu(c8051f960) with i2c protocol. Please help me how can i achieve this. The gp2106 datasheet doesn't having much information. If possible please provide me example code for it.

Thanks,
Sunil
By fll-freak
That GPS module does not talk using I2C but rather 3.3V TTL "RS-232" serial. You will not get the two to talk unless you add a converter between the two. That converter is going to have to be some small processor.
By sunilreddy
Hi Sweeney,
Thanks for your replay. I have changed gps module interfacing from i2C to RS 232. Can you please explain what is the on condition and off condition of this GPS module(GP2106).
Thanks,
Sunil
By fll-freak
On condition would be having the GPS work and Off would be not having it work?

Sorry, but I fail to understand the questions. Once you apply power to the unit, it will start to do what it is designed to do and that is scan the sky for satellites and when enough are found start providing a position solution.
By sunilreddy
Hi sweeney,
Thanks for providing valuable information. The gps module(Gp2106) having on/off pin(I/O pin) what is the functionality of this pin.

Thanks
Sunil
By fll-freak
I now see your problem. The datasheet is in very poor English. Quick search did not find much. I would suggest that to take the unit out of "OFF" mode you send it a high then a low with perhaps a 1ms on time. Sending it another pulse should put it into standby mode. If that pulse does not work, just try a level. Send high for on and low for standby. With enough trials, you will figure it out. Just remember this is not a 5V input but 1V8.

Please post your findings for the next person with the same issue!