SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By JonnieBlaze
Hi,

New here, just found this site because I have a remote control that plugs into my cell phone, but I wanted to add 5v power to it so I could also charge my phone. Found a breakout board here that will work perfect for what I need.

Anyway, on to my question. I'm sure I need to do a lot more reading...but...
Is it possible to build a GPS tracking device for my motorcycle from products on this website that would give me some way to track (or at least get coordinates somehow) of my motorcycle in the event it was stolen? Off the shelf products are nearly $400, and I'm a DIY'er so thought I could try tackling this depending on the cost savings. On the same note, is gsm/cell phone the only way I could 'track' the GPS module? If so I'll do some searching around to find the cheapest SIM card i can find...maybe give ATT a call.

Thanks for any tips you could give me!
By JonnieBlaze
Wow, that's an awesome project you've found. Itsa lot more indepth than I was hoping to get. Seems very confusing (to me, a newb to this stuff) as well with all the other components he has built into it. Thanks for posting it though. Maybe once I read through it a couple times I can get an understanding of how to just build the gps/sim card part since that's all I'm really after.
By iball
It was complex when I first looked at it as well. Now that I've built a few things, it's no longer complex to me and I'm doing a different design based upon an Arduino Pro mini with a smaller GPS unit breakout and GSM breakout that should fit in a smaller space.
I won't be able to work on it for many months though.
By murbancic
Im working on a similar project. Right now Im sitting at around $200 to make it including the board but hoping to bring that down to around $150 by changing the GPS module I am using. Im still in the early stages but I'll try to post more when I get a working prototype made.