SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By archaeo
I am having some trouble understanding how to get my Copernicus GPS module to stream TSIP packets in a manner that I can make sense of.

I have the unit hooked up like this:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/-mAbGwYIPGtE/TyDLB ... ction3.png
Thanks to the Joezawaki at Sparkfun for providing the diagram, it was very helpful. I'm using a sparkfun logic-level converter to facilitate the serial communication.

I can get data from the unit, NMEA is less of a problem since it comes through as ASCII and I can make sense of it on the fly.

I have the arduino hooked up to TXA and RXA, so I know it's TSIP data coming through but I just don't have a good conceptual handle on how the whole process of dealing with the TSIP stream works. I would greatly appreciate some help on the matter. I'd like to be able to connect the GPS to software on my PC like the Trimble Studio or ESRI ArcPad/ArcGIS (which is why I want to use TSIP instead of NMEA).

I've used the code available at:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26450

But the Trimble Studio and my ESRI software doesn't recognize the packets...

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter!
By Aggs
I purchased a Copernicus DIP a few weeks ago and successfully got it working with Trimble Studio

I didn't use auduino, PICs or any microcontroller. Just one of those USB to Serial Converters ($30 from a computer store), a RS-232 level converter (MAX232 to be exact) and some voltage regulators. Hooked them all together, turned it on and it worked!

Not sure if this helps - probably not overly useful for anything other than Trimble Studio...