SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By rdheiliger
I am having problems getting the gp-2106 to lock in. I am getting complete nema sentences, but never valid ones. There are no mounting instructions in the datasheet. Noting the post about ground planes i tried sticking it onto a 1" square piece of grounded bare board without success. Is there any recommended ground plane dimensions for this gps? Any one else successfully used this one?

It also looks like it requires a low to high transition to turn it on and a high to low transition to turn it off.

Tried posting this in the comments for the gp2106, but kept getting message that i was not logged in, altho i was??
By fll-freak
Forum login and Sparkfun login are different. Use your name and PW as you would to order product to leave comments.

"Complete but not valid"... Does this imply the checksum is valid but that the lock indicator is not valid? If so, are you outside with a clear view of the sky having given it several minutes providing it the right voltage without current limiting it?
By rdheiliger
The nema sentence has a valid checksum, in the gprmc message the valid indicator is always "V", indicating invalid message, and there is no data, no longitude or latitude, just a string of commas.

I checked in the middle of an adjacent vacant lot, where i can always get locks with other gps modules. Waited over 10 minutes.

was logged in,