SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By ohararp
I was just curious if anyone has experimented running their GPS data logger using a Lithium ion battery instead of the 4 AA batteries? I attempted to do so using a i415 Boost Mobile Battery but only for a couple of minutes. I am thinking that using this type of battery with spark funs little li-ion charger scheme would be very handy.
By Caffeine
ohararp wrote:I was just curious if anyone has experimented running their GPS data logger using a Lithium ion battery instead of the 4 AA batteries? I attempted to do so using a i415 Boost Mobile Battery but only for a couple of minutes. I am thinking that using this type of battery with spark funs little li-ion charger scheme would be very handy.
I run mine using the polymer lithium ion batteries sparkfun sell, specifically the 2Ah one. No problems that I can see, about 20 or so hours life in it...
By ohararp
Caffeine, can you provide more insight? How do you charge the circuit?What size battery are you using? How are you packaging everything? Pics would be nice if possible. I am not looking at reinventing the wheel here if possible.
By Caffeine
ohararp wrote:Caffeine, can you provide more insight? How do you charge the circuit?What size battery are you using? How are you packaging everything? Pics would be nice if possible. I am not looking at reinventing the wheel here if possible.
I use one of the 2Ah credit card size batteries sparkfun sell. I also bought one of their chargers (although it doesn't appear to work unfortunately)

Not a major problem though as I have 14 or so of the batteries, once they run out then I'll start looking for a charger :)
By jandirks
In short, lipo batteries:

- should not be discharged to less then 3V
- should not be charged higher then 4.2V
- Should not be discharged at rates higher then xC, where x is specified by battery manufactury (see below for an example)
- Should not be charged at higher amps then 1x capacity

When using a lipo battery for a project, you should take note of these rules in your design. Not following these rules can cause the battery to 'balloon', catch fire or even explode.

The manufacturer of the lipo battery will specify the maximum discharge rate for their batteries. If they specify a 300mah battery for maximum of 5x discharge rate, then you can discharge the battery at 5x300mAh = 1500mAh.

Also, when charging batteries that are connected in series, there is a possibility to overcharge one of the batteries. Especially for radio control airplanes we use so called balance charging to avoid overcharging batteries in a pack.

I hope this helps.