SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By wildbill
I've got a copernicus DIP module with an antenna GPS embedded SMA (GPS-00177) connected to an Arduino and after a bit of a struggle have the Arduino reading NMEA sentences from it. However, I can't get anything but this:

$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,,,,,,,*66

I've left the combination outside for an hour or so, but I never get any satellite data. Any suggestions as to how to debug?
By mbavaro77
Hi,

Looks like your module has not visibility of any satellite...
1) The antenna you use is pretty short in length
2) It's Winter so I guess you did not spend one hour outside :)
3) The Copernicus V1 module does not have an amazing sensitivity.

Could you post a picture of your set-up.. or should we guess ;) ?

Mic
By wildbill
Well you're right about it being cold outside, but I did leave the device out for a little over an hour which I would expect to be enough, even for a cold start. I'm not sure that you'll get much from a picture - it's a rat's nest of red wires, but I'll attach one.
By mbavaro77
Hi,

No need of a picture maybe.. allow me some guesses (and please forgive me if are too obvious):

1: I read that the DIP module exposes OPEN and SHORT pin7 and pin8.. maybe their levels actually gate the DC sent to the active antenna. OPEN=0 and SHORT=1 is normal condition. Also pin9 and pin10 should be high. Trying setting all these pins to the value suggested by the data sheet (including all the "reserved") might help.

2: the embedded antenna suffers so much from the proximity with Arduino and other digital noise coming from the "rat's nest of red wires" that you are interfering with what's likely to be a 1 bit ADC of the Copernicus module. Trying an active antenna with a longer cable and placing it further away might help.

3: the ripple on the power supply voltage is too high. Trying inserting an additional cap to ground might help.

Good luck and let me know if it helps :)

Mic
By wildbill
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the open & short connections wired correctly (last thing I tried), but your post raises an interesting question about power. I'm currently powering it from the Arduino's 3.3V pin via USB from my laptop. I wonder if I need a stronger power supply. Time to get a voltage regulator & provide separate power perhaps.
By jfgass83
Im having a similar issue, how ever i only get a reading on my serial monitor when i push the reset button on my arduino. any ideas? obviously i can't be pushing the button everytime i want to get a reading.
By mnm364
wildbill wrote:I've got a copernicus DIP module with an antenna GPS embedded SMA (GPS-00177) connected to an Arduino and after a bit of a struggle have the Arduino reading NMEA sentences from it. However, I can't get anything but this:

$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,,,,,,,*66

I've left the combination outside for an hour or so, but I never get any satellite data. Any suggestions as to how to debug?
Sorry for my noobishness, but what code and what wiring did you use? I am trying to pull NMEA sentences from a Copernicus II DIP Module (which is not that much different from the Copernicus I), from sparkfun, with an Arduino. I am having a lot of trouble with it. I am powering my Copernicus by the 3.3Vs from the Arduino Uno. When everything is wired up, my antenna set up, and my sketch uploaded, I receive random strings of symbols in the serial monitor. I cannot make heads or tails of it? In the following post I will post my code and my wiring setup. The weird thing is, is that when I connect the Copernicus II to the GPS Evaluation Board (from sparkfun), I get accurate data in the Trimble Studio Application. I only need to read NMEA sentences containing GPS coordinates, altitude, velocity, speed, and UTC time to track a weather balloon. Also can you pull information off the Copernicus with the Arduino and input it into Trimble Studio. This might be too complicated but if you know how to and you wouldn't mind explaining it, it I would be immensely grateful. In this way, I will be able to have a GUI. Again, I do not need this but if you know how to do this, it would be great! I am very new to electronics and would benefit from any help or advice. Thank you so much, in advance, for your time.