SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Jem
Hi (apologies I am a newbie)

I have a new eval board for the GPS logger v1.0 which works fine and is recording the default NMEA file - it has VTG and GGA data fields.

What I really need is the date and time (since I want to synch the file with the exif header in digital photos).

Is there a simple command for the GPSCON.txt file to switch the data format to give dates - I guess I need the ZDA data?

TIA

Jem
By Caffeine
Jem wrote:Hi (apologies I am a newbie)

I have a new eval board for the GPS logger v1.0 which works fine and is recording the default NMEA file - it has VTG and GGA data fields.

What I really need is the date and time (since I want to synch the file with the exif header in digital photos).

Is there a simple command for the GPSCON.txt file to switch the data format to give dates - I guess I need the ZDA data?

TIA

Jem
The messages output by the GPS aren't controlled by the GPSCON.txt file. They are determined by the configuration of the GPS receiver.

The $GPGGA message includes a time field in UTC, which can be converted into something usable quite easily
By Jem
Thanks

$GPGGA has the time which is ok - but I would also quite like the date.

Ta
By dmnamibia
Untill this is fixed I simply load the date in the beginning of the text file
example
$GPRMC,122151.00,A,2235.2232,S,01704.1396,E,0,0,300406
30april2006
By dmnamibia
ZDA will give you the time. You will have to program the GPS itself to allow for the output. In doing this you should switch off GLL,GSA,GSV and RMC. (Have not done it myself)
By leon_heller
Jem wrote:Thanks

$GPGGA has the time which is ok - but I would also quite like the date.

Ta
I don't use that GPS but RMC sentences have date and time, IIRC.

Leon