SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By jandirks
I would like to know how I do calculate this:

I have a GPS postion and want to calculate, let's say, 10 positions (36 degrees) each at 300 feet (100 meter) from this point.

So, let's say I am at position:
N 52°24.88´
E 004°48.29´

If I move 300 feet away from this position in a 36 degree heading, what position will I end up? From the original position I want to know 72/108/144/180/216/252/288/324/360 degrees and 300 meter distance.

Anyone knows how to do this calculation?

JD
By jandirks
Great!

Thank you very much!

Jan-Dirk
By jandirks
With help from the page in the link that NleahciM posted, I have managed to get something nice.

You can see the results here: http://uav.bravehost.com/GPScircle.html
For now, you can enter a GPS position and range. The scripts on the page will generate 10 waypoints starting at 36 degrees and each new waypoint with a step of 36 degrees. You can copy/paste the results in other websites (links provided) and show the positions on Google maps/Google earth.

Sometime soon (possibly later today)an updated version can be found at the link above which will make it possible to generate data for use in Garmin Mapsource (and other software that supports the .WPT file format).

For future versions I plan to make it possible to generate data in route format (.RTE file format) for use in Mapsource (and others)

Credits for most calculations go to Chris Veness (see link from NleahciM)
By jandirks
The version that can generate WPT information is online now.