SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By asic_designer
Hi

I was thinking of perchasing this gps unit, seems like it will suit my project nicely. But before I do that, I have a few questions about exactly what messages are coming out. Looking over the manual on page 38 "NAVIGATION DATA MESSAGE – message of user navigation data(0xA8)" looks like the output gps data right?. So if I configure the module to only give me the GGA Interval message and disable all other messages, does that mean that the out put in the Navigation Data message contains the GGA gps sentence? Looking at the GGA sentence structure and the message output left me a little confused, the output doesn't look like the sentence, looks like there is a lot more info there, can someone tell me whats going on?
By trillium
Yes, if thats how you configure it, it should output just that sentence, once each cycle, with a checksum at the end... to keep it simple, otherwise, since you are getting 20 updates a second, you would need to use a pretty fast baud rate, I'd think.

On refresh intervals faster than some arbitrary value, (maybe 1/sec) I think it may only send those two basic sentences, not all the rest.

And the time only changes once each second..