SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By rohindeep
hey
i'm using EM406 for my engineering project. i connected it to my laptop using a serial-usb converter. The data received in the hyper terminal is not in NMEA format, rather something absurd i guess.... checkout the screenshot. please help me out with this asap.
rohin

By ekoy
gps data from an EM-406 is a ttl data which is 0V and 5V (binary 0 and 1). but rs232 data is -13V to +13V for binary data 0 and 1. you need to use an inverter before you connect the gps tx pin to the rs232 rx pin...
By rohindeep
yes.. i'm aware of it and for that i'm using a serial-usb converter. But still i'm getting the same data(screenshot).
By ekoy
check ur usb- serial cable ( i assume if its CDR king brand check the product for durability and effectiveness) and also install the required software for it.

we have the same GPS module and its working fine with me
Last edited by ekoy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By rohindeep
@fll-freak:- It could be the baud rate because when i used the 'Synchronize Protocol & Baud Rate' option in SiRF Demo 3.87, it synchronized itself to 57600. But even after changing the settings of COM port to 57600 baud rate, the result's still the same. As far data format is concerned, it's definitely not NMEA and i'm not sure about the SiRF format. Do you know any software, except SiRF demo, which can read SiRF data?

Anyways i'm posting some more screenshots of some different programs i tries out... check them out.. especially the SiRf demo, because i'm getting some errors in it.

@ekoy:- i'm pretty sure that my serial-usb cable is working fine as i checked it with some of my other stuff.
By rohindeep
SiRF Demo:
I'm getting some frame errors in SiRF..

RealTerm:
This software is showing some errors as well.. check out the status pins in the screenshot and at the bottom it says 'UART receiver framing error'

GPSInfo:
This software comes with the module. It's made by the Globalsat people.. and i'm not even getting any response in it.

GPS Utility:
This software is showing an error regarding buffer overflow and baud rate.
By rohindeep
I need the NMEA data only...
i was just wondering if there is any software which can read SiRF data, so that i can check my module..