SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By wakakaka
Hi,

I've just thought of a little project whereby I want to track a person or moving object in a hidden area. So, what I've thought of is making a small GPS (Or GSM whichever is more accurate) device and building a mini HAM transmitter (to locate accurately when nearby). Problem is where do I start? I can't really find any info on building a mini HAM transmitter anywhere. If there are good guides around on building a GPS and HAM device, please do post it up. Thanks
By fll-freak
GSM - Cell phone technology
GPS - Global positioning system
HAM - Amateur radio

Not sure how a cell phone (GSM) can be more accurate than a GPS?
What does ham radio have to do with anything? Are you thinking of trying to make your own GPS satellites?

Need Input!
-Johnny 5
By rosco
i've started a similar thread. but i'd like to track my hawk via satellite, rather than chase it with radio telemetry.

for both, size would be the huge necessity. birds can only carry so much weight and it can't be bulky. to track a person, it'd have to be hidden in the dude's shoe or something.

it seems like i remember hearing about people that turned up missing. they tracked the person's location by following their cell phone signals. this was long before people had mapping software on their phones. what was the cell phone company giving to the police?

some phones had it. and some didn't. i don't think there was a use for it when i first heard of "location by cell phone signal."
By trialex
rosco wrote:i've started a similar thread. but i'd like to track my hawk via satellite, rather than chase it with radio telemetry.

for both, size would be the huge necessity. birds can only carry so much weight and it can't be bulky. to track a person, it'd have to be hidden in the dude's shoe or something.

it seems like i remember hearing about people that turned up missing. they tracked the person's location by following their cell phone signals. this was long before people had mapping software on their phones. what was the cell phone company giving to the police?

some phones had it. and some didn't. i don't think there was a use for it when i first heard of "location by cell phone signal."
They just use signal strengths at various cell towers (which obviously have a known location) to give a rough estimate of location. No software needed on phone.
By rpcelectronics
If you want to go the amateur radio (ham) route, APRS is your friend. We just started to offer a brand new tracker called the RTrak-HAB (High Altitude Balloon). We made it as small and as light as possible for use as a high altitude payload, however, it could possibly work for what you are working on:

http://www.rpc-electronics.com/rtrak-hab.php

Just a thought (and a shameless plug) :o)