SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Lukel99
I'm currently using a ceramic patch antenna similar to the one found here except with a U.FL connector, and I find that it is too directional for my application. The GeoHelix looks like a good antenna, but it is too expensive. I'd like to test the chip-scale antenna, but I had some questions about the test board in the datasheet.

1) Do I need a 50 ohm resistance in series with the antenna?
2) Should I place it as shown in this image?
3) What purpose do the holes in the ground plane serve?
4) Would it be worthwhile to create a pad that allows me to connect a component to ground in an L network configuration?
5) Should I get a surface mount U.FL connector and just get a male to male cable to connect the board I create to the gps module?
6) The module already has an LNA and SAW filter, so I assume that I don't need a redundant one on the antenna board?
7) The far end of the antenna is just soldered to a pad in the area without grounding, correct? I don't need an interconnect to go anywhere else on the board?

I admit that I know little to nothing about antenna design/ network creation and tuning, so the more specific the better. Thanks in advance!
By falingtrea
The directionality of the GPS antenna is for a reason. Signal levels are pretty low coming from the satellite, so a high gain antenna is needed. Chip antennas like the one you are using are so low gain that they may be useless for a GPS application, without a lot of amplification.
By leon_heller
You don't use a 50R resistor in the feed, the PCB connection is 50 ohm microstrip.

The vias are needed to ensure good grounding.
By Lukel99
leon_heller wrote:You don't use a 50R resistor in the feed, the PCB connection is 50 ohm microstrip.

I've been on the IRC channel, and they've been helping me a lot there. I think I'm close to having a functional 50 ohm microstrip. They also said the holes are for EMI reasons. Are you suggesting I via this ground plane to a matching plane on the other side of the PCB?
By Lukel99
Lukel99 wrote:
leon_heller wrote:You don't use a 50R resistor in the feed, the PCB connection is 50 ohm microstrip.

I've been on the IRC channel, and they've been helping me a lot there. I think I'm close to having a functional 50 ohm microstrip. They also said the holes are for EMI reasons. Are you suggesting I via this ground plane to a matching plane on the other side of the PCB?
Seeing that this is the case. So, ground plane extends on both sides of the PCB, vias connect the 2 ground planes, microstrip runs through the center of the ground plane on the top layer?