SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By jamma
My hope is that this thread will be a central place for suggestions to the wonderful SFE Lassen iQ GPS Datalogger. Here are some thought starters:

1) A config setting that allows logging to slow down based on the speed of the unit. Say a fleet car sits in a garage all night, I don't want a record written every second. Allow the user to specify the "stopped" logging frequency. Might be nice to put the unit in some sort of power-save mode when it knows it's stopped, too.

2) In my local geography, there are loads of times where the unit can't find a signal and writes out records with all zeros. This plays havoc with Google Earth, so you have to strip out all of these lines as part of the .KML creation process. Would be much more convenient to have a config switch that provides the option to not log these "0.0000000000000,0.0000000000000,0" data records.

3) I'd like to modify the unit to use a Li Poly batteries and get it to recharge via USB. Ideally, once attached to USB, the files on the disk should be visible.

4) Bonus points for a little app that automatically turns KML-friendly datafiles into true .KML files for import to Google Earth.
By mellbrook
is a serial connection for the lassen iq possible? with this it would be possible to configure the gps "in circuit" and you wouldn´t lose all almanach data.
So the first port would be reachable and the second port is connected the the lpc2138.