SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By noelgra
Hello. I have just started trying to get a Uno & EM406 working with the Sparkfun example GPS parser Arduino project software.
I get a lot of errors when compling the code, including "sketch_jan31a.cpp:11:27: error: NewSoftSerial.h: No such file or directory".
I think I have the newsoftserial and Tinygps libraries in the wrong place.
I am using a Mac and have files in the following locations:
Arduino application in applications folder
Arduino libraries and arduino files that I have created are in an Arduino folder in the Documents folder.
Arduino preferences are in an Arduino file in the user library.

Can anyone please tell me if this is correct.
Thank you.
By follower
noelgra wrote:I am using a Mac and have files in the following locations:
Arduino libraries and arduino files that I have created are in an Arduino folder in the Documents folder.
On Mac OS X you need the libraries in a subfolder of the Arduino folder in the Documents folder. e.g.:
Code: Select all
Documents/Arduino/libraries/NewSoftSerial
--Philip;
By AlanCart
noeigra, to get to the libraries folder you need to right click on the arduino logo in your applications folder and select "show package contents" this will allow you to open that directory. from there go to CONTENT>RESOURCES>JAVA>LIBRARIES and drop them in there.
By follower
AlanCart wrote:to get to the libraries folder you need to right click on the arduino logo in your applications folder and select "show package contents" this will allow you to open that directory. from there go to CONTENT>RESOURCES>JAVA>LIBRARIES and drop them in there.
Actually, that's the old way of doing this and that way has some disadvantages compared to the new way (which has been present since about version 0018). By keeping the libraries in the "Documents/Arduino/libraries/" directory (assuming you have the default sketchbook location) you can upgrade the IDE without having to re-install the libraries.

--Philip;