SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By SirPoonga
I picked up the GPS shield retail kit because it was a nice all in one package that had everything I needed. I put it together and tried the quickstart tutorial code. I modified the code to output the NMEA string to serial. I am getting NMEA strings but it looks like it isn't acquiring satellites. I left it on for 5 hours and not a single acquire. Any ideas?
By leon_heller
Most GPS modules have a 1 pps output, and an LED is usually connected to it. That should be flashing if it gets enough signal and is working properly.
By SirPoonga
The led stays on which means it is still trying to acquire. It is outputting NMEA data so it seems like it is working, just not acquiring any sats. The GSV messages are showing 0s for the satellite data. Maybe a defective receiver? Antenna detached internally?
By leon_heller
I'd check the antenna and its connections. I've designed a couple of GPS systems and they worked first time, indoors, but they had high-sensitivity modules and active antennas.
By leon_heller
That module includes the antenna, of course.

It doesn't look as if there is much to go wrong, but it obviously isn't working. I'd contact SFE support about it.