SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By donquad
i hooked up the gps 09133 today with a ttl to serial port interface ,opened up the gps software program and all my data popped up quickly and correctly.my only goal was to change the baud rate to 4800 for the nema string to communicate with my intended device.I change it and go to save it,it ask me if i wanted to save to sram only or to sram and flash.i chose sram only.after i chose my option i lost all communication with the module.on my pc i have a trimble iq monitoring program and i open it and it immediately locks on to com 4 at 9600-O-1 and displays all my nema data and sattelites and works perfect.So now i know my output is still 9600-0-1 because thats what my iq monitor program is communnicating at.Then I realize i didnt have my vbat input
which i read powers my sram.So i fixed that and still cannot get my gps program to see it at any baud rate but i know the data is there because my iq program sees it.Is there a hardwired trick i can do or what can i do to get this gps software to see it so i can change the baud rate.the program cannot find the module,please help.
By teekay_tk
OK
Hopefully you have laready solved this problem. If you have not then

I am assuming that you are using GPSVIEW from SKYTRAQ. What happens in thier software is that when you send the change baud rate command, the software changes its own baud rate to the new baud rate even if teh command was unsuccessful. So in this case your software will automatically convert to 4800 baud thinking that the GPS will do the same but for some reason the GPS is not changing its baud rate (as you can see it at 9600)

Best thing would be to set it to both SRAM AND FLASH
and see what happens

Best of luck

TK
By donquad
i cant set it to anything because the software will not find the module at any baud rate,that is my problem....i cannot establish a connection.
By donquad
thanks to all who helped i figured it out.yesterday was the first time i used the skyview program.i made a stupid mistake when i changed the setting my program lost communication
and i didnt realize the tab that said close meant the port was closed,i thought that was to close it.when i went to close so i could restart it it changed it to connect,i set my baud rate and connected changed settings and saved to flash and sram and everything worked.Not the first stupid mistake i made and wont be the last,thanks to all who took the time to think about it.