SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By sharky
Hello everyone!

I am using the "Venus GPS with SMA Connector" and getting stuck on update rates...

What I wanted is to get the $VTG message at 10Hz, and also the $GSA but no need for fast update there.
I first sent a 0x08 command to only get the needed messages ... this is OK
I changed the baudrate to 38400bps withe the 0x05 command... this is OK
Then I sent a 0x0E command with 10Hz (0x0A) configuration ... this is NOT OK

The only thing I get is the NAV LED blinking faster, XORed 10times a second... so I guess the command has been set correctly but obviously, this doesn't match my needs because I still get my GSA+VTG messages at 1Hz rate...

After scratching my head few minutes, I realized that the 0x08 command allows to set intervals from 1 to 255 seconds... but not lower... So my head is itching much more right now :)

What do I actually get at 10Hz with the 0x0E command?
How do you get speed information at a 10Hz rate?

Help would be appreciated

PS : there's a mistake in skytraq's NMEA messages description : $VTG, 3rd field, Speed in KM/h has this format 000.0 and not this 0000.0
By teekay_tk
if you can hook it up to a PC , then use skytraqs gpsinfo software to set the device in different configurations etc. I did get it to update it to 10 hz a few months ago, but it was at 115200 baud and i dont rememebr what message was being sent, but it was only one message of the 3 I had selected.
By sharky
Thanks teekay_tk, but in the mean time, I mailed Sparkfun. Here is their answer (for posterity) :

"Currently only GGA and RMC is update rate related. The RMC message has more information than what VTG provides."

Many thanks to them :D