SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By shan4fx
Hello there,

I have a few questions regarding the following products:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8418 and http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8825

So one is the receiver and the other is an antenna. Here's my question. I am trying to play a little treasure hunt game. Here's what I have in mind:

Attach it to a card/ coin, etc
It's destination will be domestic (within the US)
Don't need any 1Hz update rate. Instead this update once in 2 weeks or once a month if needed (hopefully minimizing battery requirements)
Speaking of battery, what is the source for something like this?
This tracker will be hidden in small items and therefore needs to be small and inconspicuous. (Strategy involves several pieces hidden around and one of those will be the right one with the GPS but the person trying to find it should not be able to easily tell its a GPS tracker)
Use GPS visualizer or other software to track with periodic updates.
With the two units mentioned above (20 Channel Micro-miniature MN5010HS GPS Receiver and Antenna GPS Chip-Scale) will I be able to carry out what I mentioned above in the idea? Do I need other components?

Thanks for your time and patience in advance.
By tronic
I'm a little confused by this too. From what I'm understanding you will be hiding the GPS receiver. Then people will search for the receiver based on clues given to them. So where do the GPS coordinateness come into play? Why have a GPS at all if it's a clues based game? It sounds like an interesting project, I'm just trying to understand it.
By shan4fx
Hello guys,
Ya'll are right; i suck at framing my questions. I really do!!! :) for simplicity sake, lets ignore the game part. Let me try again.

I hide a tracking device in a small object. I dont need instant updates like a gps nav device. Once in 2 weeks i could get an update. Distance wise, anywhere in us for range. If thats not possible then perhaps neighboring state range.

Thx
S