SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By RadioRon
I'm working with this GPS module, the Micro-Mini (MN5010HS) for the first time this week and so far I have not been able to get any response to my command or query inputs. I've tried a lot of things and don't have any more ideas, so I'm looking for suggestions. Here is what I have done:

- connected the Micro_mini to my AVR development board and wrote code to send command/config strings to the module. I receive the NMEA default sentences from the module just fine. I've verified using an oscilloscope that the serial data is reaching the MN5010 module pin 7 with the correct voltages, with good timing and with correct protocol. Result: the module does not respond to any of my command strings, neither $PUNV or $PSRF types. No response of any sort.
- connected the module, using the RS232 ShifterSMD interface, and then through an RS232 to USB converter (tried and true lab unit), directly to a PC. Used three terminal emulators, finally Terminal by Bray, to send command strings. Verified good voltage, good timing and correct protocol and correct characters are arriving at the MN5010, but I get no response of any sort from it, other than the default rx sentences.
- repeated previous step with a different PC with an RS232 port (so no USB converter), same result
- ran GPS Viewer by Skytraq to communicate with the module, via RS232shifter direct from a PC RS232 serial port. Viewer receives the default strings just fine, but when I command to request any config changes or queries to the module, the Viewer times out waiting for a response and gets nothing.

Am I missing something or is my module broken?
By RadioRon
Commands sent include:

$PUNV,GETCONFIG,00*41<cr><lf>
$PUNV,CONFIG,00,00,0,1000,4800,0*36<cr><lf>
$PSRF100,1,57600,8,1,0*cc<cr><lf>
$PSRF100,1,9600,8,1,0*cc<cr><lf>
$PSRF103,00,00,00,00*cc<cr><lf>
$PSRF103,01,00,00,00*cc<cr><lf>
$PSRF103,02,00,00,00*cc<cr><lf>
$PSRF103,03,00,00,00*cc<cr><lf>
$PSRF103,04,00,00,00*cc<cr><lf>
$PSRF103,05,00,00,00*cc<cr><lf>

and with GPS Viewer, the commands included:

Query Software version
query CRC checksum
query position update rate
configure serial port
configure NMEA output
configure position update rate

I have two software manuals for this product. One is from MicroModular Technologies, theIR NMEA User Manual. This manual describes the $PUNV messages, and also states that a checksum value of cc is always accepted. This manual also states that an error message is sent as a response to an invalid command. I have never gotten this response. The other manual is from SiRF, their NMEA Reference Manual which describes the $PSRF messages and provides examples, some of which I have copied for experiments. It is not obvious from this documentation which messages are valid, so I take it that all of the $PUNV and $PSRF messages can be sent to this unit, as well as standard NMEA sentences. I believe I am asking for reports that this unit can generate, but am not certain. In any case, I expect to see error messages if the inputs are invalid, and I do not.

I have tried these messages in a range of 1 minute to 50 minutes after power-up. The GPS module reports a fix after less than 60 seconds from power up in all my experiments.

I have not calculated any checksums. I have either used examples directly from the manuals, or have defaulted to using "cc".
By teekay_tk
As far as I know, the skytraq gps viewer will generate SkyTraq protocol commands in SkyTraq binary and they will not work with Sirf3 chip. Please do check this with someone else as I am not really sure, but I remember from a past post that sirf binary and skytraq binary were different protocols