SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Irish Yobbo
Hi all,

I recently bought the LOCOSYS LS20126 module, which has a 3-axis accelerometer and compass built in. Getting the module to transmit the GPS NMEA strings is fine, but I have no idea how to get the accelerometer and compass data.

According to the datasheet, there's a PLSR Compass Measurement Report, which contains the accelerometer and compass data. But there's no indication on how to set the query/rate control to receive the PLSR report.

Anyone else know? Or is there another way?

Thanks.
By thebecwar
Query VTG at 1Hz continuously with checksum:
$PSRF103,05,00,01,01*20
Query RMC at 1Hz Continuously with checksum:
$PSRF103,04,00,01,01*XX (I didn't feel like calculating the checksum.)

You have to look up at the information that the different reports contain. Typically people are interested in GLL or RMC. VTG and RMC both report course over ground and speed over ground.

Hope this helps.
By Irish Yobbo
The datasheet provides information for the standard NMEA reports: GGA, GLL, GSA, GSV, RMC and VTG. But none for the accelerometer and compass stuff. The direction can be found from the course over ground, but this won't work if it's sitting still.

There is a special NMEA string for this data - the datasheet shows what information this will give, but not how to set the gps to transmit it!

I might try and play around with the request value (in your examples, 04 and 05 for RMC and VTG). Perhaps another number might work.
By GenesB2
Did anyone ever learn the answer to this? I just bought an LS20126 for eval and have the same issue, my proto-gizmo needs stationary compass and attitude data. I shot the question to Locosys on their website but haven't heard back yet. Maybe I'll hear back in Taiwanlish anyway. So if anyone has figured it out since the OP'g, I'd be grateful for the answer.
By uncle4
I got a message back from LocoSys regarding updating the heading/accel data rates. They said to use MID (message ID) 248 with PLSC. The data value is update rate in 100msec increments.

They also said that to get 5hz sampling you must increase the serial rates to 38400 or 57600.

To change the hdg/accel update rate to 5hz (200msec), try:

$PLSC,248,1,2*1D

Sorry it took so long to get the info outta Locosys.