SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Hummer
I recently purchased & received a Lassen iQ Eval kit (USB) and I've had absolutely no success with getting any data to display on my computer using the iQ Monitor software. I've spent hours trying many different things and no luck.

From what I've been told, all I should have to do after installing the driver, is plug it into a USB port on my laptop and I should at least see some kind of data in iQ Monitor. I don't see anything, just the Tx & Rx indicators flashing.

I've tried changing the COM port using Device Manager and when I do iQ Monitor does detect the change, but still no success.

Any advice?

Any other software that I could try using that may help in someway?

BTW: My laptop is running XP Home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rory
By Guest
Rory,
Are you sure that the serial port is correct? iQMonitor shows that I have a COM3 which I do not. If I select it, the TX and RX indicators are flashing but I do not get any data. Check in the Device Manager to see what COM port has been assigned to the Lassen.

HTH,

Greg
By Hummer
Greg,

I'm pretty sure the serial port is correct. The iQMonitor will always choose the same COM port number that I see show up in Device Manager whenever I plug the GPS board into a USB port on my computer. If I manually change the port number, the iQMonitor will detect the change then too.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rory
By huey
Have you tried using a terminal emulator (e.g. HyperTerminal)? You should see some output although it will be garbage since it is binary and not ASCII. This should confirm that the module is working.

Greg
By Guest
Greg,

I've never used HyperTerminal, does it work with a USB port?

Rory
By Guest
Greg,

Ok, I think I've got HyperTerminal running with COM 5 selected, which is what the USB board has connected to when I plugged it in. So now what do I do? I type in AT and it responds with 'OK'. I have no idea what other commands to use in order to get a response from the Lassen board. There is no data at all showing up in the Hyperterminal window other than the 'OK'.

Rory
By Guest
Dear Guys,

recently I brought an EM-406, the product guide said the output is TTL level, is that mean I cannot dirrect connect with RS232, I found an IC MAX232 on this site. Do I need use this to convert!

Hope to read any experience user give me comment! Or sparkfun can advise me! (I just burnt some expensive components, I don't want try and error to avoid lost) Hope to see any help)
By huey
Rory,

It sounds like you're COM5 is connected to your internal modem. The GPS module shouldn't respond with AT. It should just be outputting binary GPS messages which you won't be able to read. That's what iQ_Monitor is for.

In any event, COM5 is NOT the port that you want. If you haven't done this already, you might want to remove the Lassen USB driver and reinstall it.

Good luck!

Greg
By Guest
Well, I figured out what the damn problem has been. Another loose component on the circuit board. When I press down on the square black component the iQMonitor window comes to life fully!! :D I have to keep the black component on the board pinched between my thumb and fingers to keep it working though. :(

And that particular component is not the only loose one on the board. The darn power indication LED is also looose, it only lights up when I press down on it too. :(

I need to get a new board sent to me and I'm way over here in Middle East on deployment with the US Navy, so it's a long wait.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Rory
By Guest
Well, I figured out what the damn problem has been. Another loose component on the circuit board. When I press down on the square black component the iQMonitor window comes to life fully!! :D I have to keep the black component on the board pinched between my thumb and fingers to keep it working though. :(

And that particular component is not the only loose one on the board. The darn power indication LED is also looose, it only lights up when I press down on it too. :(

I need to get a new board sent to me and I'm way over here in Middle East on deployment with the US Navy, so it's a long wait.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Rory
By Guest
I had more luck using the SQ monitor than the IQ.

If the IQ monitor doesn't work, I'll use the SQ
get it working save settings. Close it thstart the IQ monitor and it usually works fine.

Had a few problems with it not working on some systems but this is only on Dells or via Dell usb hubs(in monitors).
By edie
Do you have any manual or hompage that can show us how to setting up the system/program?Because when I open the program no data/blank is present in my laptop, so I need to sett up the program/system correctly but no manual setting.So were can I search for it?
By the way when using other software(VisualGPS) my laptop can fixed the location.

Your help is higly appreciated.

rgds
joe
By edie
Do you have any manual or hompage that can show us how to setting up the system/program?Because when I open the program no data/blank is present in my laptop, so I need to sett up the program/system correctly but no manual setting.So were can I search for it?
By the way when using other software(VisualGPS) my laptop can fixed the location.

Your help is higly appreciated.

rgds
edie