SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By dimkasta
I am currently using a venus module with an arduino and everything seems to work normally, except from the fact that the module does not always transmit the "proper" full GPRMC sentence.

After a while, or straight away from booting, it seems to start spamming a shorter version of the GPRMC missing all or some of the following: Date, angle, speed, lat, long, hemisphere etc.
the only thing that seems consistent is the time and the checksum.

Any suggestions?
Is there a problem, or is it suppose to do that and I need to figure out a way to configure it?
By dimkasta
Anyone?
By Faraday's Cage
You know, I don't think anyone actually posts or reads this forum. I would recommend reposting in a general discussion forum. Thats what I am doing.
By tz
Before it finds GPS satellites and locks in on them it will emit an abbreviated GPRMC with a "not locked" indicator, with a time and date (from June 2009 if I remember). The other fields will be zero or blank.

(I also had it emit a few GPRMC marked as valid from 500 miles south south west when first locking in on the satellites, but this may have been the terrain and some really bad multipath.)

If you can post an example and what you think is wrong I might be able to help more.

Meanwhile, I don't know what baud rate you are running. what the settings are (how often the sentences come out), the interface, or anything else. It could be a simple overrun (you are asking for 10Hz at 4800 baud), or some other program on the computer is interfering with the serial communications, or who knows what.

Having a fairly complete description of the hardware along with a sample log of a few seconds of capture (before and after) might enable someone to actually answer your question. I don't check in often, but I often don't reply to questions that don't have any details.

I've been using a venus for a while and know many if not most of the quirks.