SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Volta
I received my Venus GPS dev board a few weeks ago and finally started playing with it today. It should be really simple to get working. But I couldn't get it to work properly, maybe I'm missing something....

I connected it to my computer serial port running serial communicator software to see what's coming out of the Venus. Previously I'd hooked up my old handheld GPS this way at 4800 baud (no parity, 8 byte, 1 stop bit) and I would see proper NMEA sentences from it so I know this setup works. When I connect the Venus and switch the program to 9800 baud all I get is garbage (crazy sets of random characters every second).

I've tried various baud rates. I initially connected 3.3V, ground, and Tx. Then I added VBat at 3.3V and connected Rx too. Each time still nothing legible (just garbage). I downloaded the GPS Viewer software. Still garbage.

Am I missing something or did I end up with a faulty unit? Any suggestions?

I also tried with/without the antenna recommended by Sparkfun.
By TRON
You are using a level shifter such as the RS232 Shifter SMD or a TTL compatible device like the FT232RL Breakout Board between the computer and the GPS module, right?

The Venus634FLPx requires use of a 3.3 volt TTL UART connection or level shifter / adaptor between it and a computer since computer UARTs are typically 5 to 12 volt level TTL on the TX & RX lines.

Also make sure that your PC UART is configured with:
Data 8 bits
Stop 1 bit
No Parity
No Handshaking (aka software or hardware flow control)
By tz
You do need a TTL converter, and I would run the software (GPS viewer / Skytraq 0.4.4xx) from the product page.

I'm using a FTDI 3.3v breakout [url]http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8772[/url] (these are very convenient) with some M/F jumpers [url]http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=9140[/url] - "Blk" gets ground, then skip, then 3.3v, then Tx (to Rx on the Venus) and Rx (to Tx on the Venus).

Came right up in the GPS viewer.

To find com ports I keep a link to windows device manager to find com ports (to a batch file with :[code]
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
cd %systemroot%\system32
start devmgmt.msc
[/code] since I can turn on nonpresent devices and delete old and orphans
By Volta
OK, I'll give the TTL converter a try and post how it goes.
By Volta
Yep, bought a Max232 and a couple capacitors and the Venus is sending info! Actually, it's always been sending info, but now I can read it!

Thanks tz and TRON.