SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By ismell
Hello,
I took some power readings for the GM862 module and when I had the module shut down it was using 6mA. The documentation states that in power off mode it should use < 26uA. I was wondering how I could get the module into this mode ?
I took a reading on the eval board with out the module installed and got 7.31mA. Then I plugged in the module and took another reading and got 7.37mA. Could the eval board be messing up my readings ?

I didn't have the USB plugged in while taking the readings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raul
By Gsm Man
I don't know what developmnet board you are using, but the regulator will also draw current. Depending on the regulator, 6 or 7mA is not unusual.
By Alfa
Hello,

Does anyone know how to use or obtain the heading of the Telit GM862 as a compass? I think the VTG string should be the way, but I am not getting any valid data. The heading constantly changes while the GPS is not moving.

Is it possible?

Thanks!
By bretth
The heading value is included with the lat/long, and what you're seeing is normal when the GPS receiver is not moving. The heading is only valid when the device is moving, so you'll want to check the speed value before using the heading.