SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By ryanst
I have a Trimble lassen iQ GPS module, including an evaluation board. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8334 but it's the previous model with a single USB socket and no db9. (GPS-2002 I think)

I can install the drivers, and it appears the Trimble monitor is talking to the virtual com port and cycling through the various baud rates, but it cannot detect the GPS receiver, I've read through the iQ module manual, and have checked the module is correctly mated to the evaluation board, I bridged between the two solder points with a jumper (1 & TX, 1 & RX on eval. board).

I had previously gotten the Trimble proprietary (TSIP) protocol working in the trimble monitor program. However if I change the jumper to (2 & TX, 2 & RX) the module is not detected in Trimble monitor at all. I want to be able to get NMEA which comes out of port B from the GPS, except that when I bridge 2 & tx, 2 & rx I get nothing. How do I get the board and module to output dart from port B (NMEA). I have since tried to set it up again and cannot even connect into port A, the Trimble monitor software and will not detect any thing. I have tried hyper terminal as well and get nothing out.

Has anyone had similar problems, or perhaps someone from SFE can dig up the manuals for the usb board or advise on what I can do to trying to get it working. I am at my wits end with it.

Thanks,

Ryan