SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Steel
Hey, I hope I can find the help I need here.

I am looking at putting the GPS-08889 into a portable device (animal tracking). I have a few questions for board layout however, and was wondering if I could get some help.

1) It looks like the metal can that is mounted to the PCB sticks out much farther than the header. Does a notch need to be cut into the board to allow for this to mount? If so, what is the recommended notch size?

2) Is there anyway to 'support' the board on my pcb other than just the header connection? Do I need to apply adhesive or my own mounting to keep this device secure?

3) This looks like a great reciever for an embedded project, however it doesn't seem to be a logical 'drop in' solution based on the header/can orientation. I will be in production of 100's...Should I look for a different solution, or do people still feel like this is a great module?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first GPS project, and my client is really excited so I want to make sure that I get everything correct.

Thanks
Shaun
By Steel
Really? Nothing?

I went to the tech support page and it said to come to the forums. Does Sparkfun not monitor the forums?

I guess I will be calling them.