SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By splicer
Can anyone give me tips on getting this setup? I have the NMEA library loaded, and it wants serial communication. I'm new, and learning, so maybe I'm asking a dumb question, but how would I wire it up?
By ttabbal
TX line on GPS to RX line on uC. Power and GND. Aren't there only 3 pins on those things? :)
By splicer
There are 4 pins , TX RX VCC AND GND.
By splicer
I'm sorry, Micro-Mini!
By FartingMonkey92
I can't seem to find whether it can take a 5V TTL signal...
But if it can, it's a simple job to hook up. VCC to your Arduino's 5V and GND to Gnd, TX to RX and vice-versa... :wink:
Anyone else with extra advice?
By ttabbal
The datasheet for the module specifies 1.8V TTL logic levels. I imagine you are going to need a level shifter to get the levels to match for a 5V micro. If your micro can sense 1.8V as a logic high, you might be able to set it up as a receive only device without worrying about the levels.

Wire it as I mentioned before. But read the datasheet for your microcontroller to see if it can handle levels that low.
By Freak Nigh
We couldn't get it to work with hyperterminal until we inverted the signal and then brought it up to 5V. Dunno if that helps
By FartingMonkey92
ttabbal wrote:"The datasheet for the module specifies 1.8V TTL logic levels. I imagine you are going to need a level shifter to get the levels to match for a 5V micro. If your micro can sense 1.8V as a logic high, you might be able to set it up as a receive only device without worrying about the levels."
In the schematic for the GPS Micro-Mini, it has a MOSFET on the TX line to do the level conversion to whatever voltage the module is running from...
Not too sure about the RX line tho... :?
By Dr_Guy
For the Arduino users- I just got two to work alongside one another using an Ardweeny. The VCC pin acts as the Rx as well. In addition to what you have you should also get the NewSoftSerial library (http://arduiniana.org/libraries/newsoftserial/). In that is sample code that will work (TwoNSSTest.pde). The pins are connected as such:
GPS1: Tx - Digital 2, GND - GND, VCC - Digital 3
GPS2: Tx - Digital 4, GND - GND, VCC - Digital 4