SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By remi
Hi,

I returned my Micro-Mini MN5010HS to SparkFun and they tested it and they confirmed that there were a problem. I ordered an EM-408 instead. I received it yesterday but I didn't have time to test it yet. I'll tell you as soon I've tested it.

Remi
By corvette123
ive had the em 408, its a nice unit.....

stable.
By ChrisVanstone
I have just received this unit as a replacement for a 406A in a project I'm working on. I couldn't get a lock full stop yesterday, but have succeeded today after about 20 mins. However as soon as I moved the device it lost it again. Not ideal for a moving application.

Although the 406A is bigger, once locked, the device can be brought inside with no loss of signal.

Real shame these don't work as the size of the unit is very impressive.
By corvette123
try the venus??

looks like a winner.
By bdacosta
Jason mentions an active antenna below. Which one are you talking about ? We can't get a fix either. Has this product been improved since these last postings?
thanks
Beatriz
By rpcelectronics
Beatriz,

The product mentioned in this thread is not my own. The OP is referring to a product sold by SparkFun. My mention earlier was of a product that I produce and contains the MN5010HS GPS module.
By macleorg
I've have abeen trying to use a couple of the GPS Micro-Mini modules ( GPS-08936 ).

Was able to get a fix from one of them about a week ago, but for the past several days I've been unable to get any fix data no matter how long I leave it running. (One is brand new and no fix data from it yet.) The units run ok and output serial data, just no data with a gps fix.

Blue sky, no obstacles, and a smooth 4.5V supply. Other brands of gps I'm using work fine.

I see that several people have posted this problem in the past, some people quite some time ago.

I'm wondering, has anyone figured out what I might be doing wrong? (I believe I have read all the past posts and found no clue that are of any help.)

I'd appreciate any suggestions of things that may have worked for you.

Thanks.

Glenn