SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Topics pertaining to the Arduino Core & software used with the Artemis module and Artemis development boards.
By Gyzmologist
I would like to use precompiled libraries to reduce compile times with Arduino IDE 2.2.1. I posted this question on an Arduino forum, and someone suggested this is a toolchain issue because it works as expected with an atmega328p.

I've read the Arduino CLI Library Specification, searched the Arduino and Sparkfun forums, and Google, for "precompiled library", "The platform does not support 'compiler.libraries.ldflags'", found numerous posts about fixing it, but nothing I've tried has worked.

The target board is a Sparkfun Redboard Artemis ATP (aka apollo3).

I have a simple test.ino program that includes one library to test with:
//test.ino
#include <Utils.h>

void setup() {
}

void loop() {
}

The compiler finds my library no problem. This is a snipet of what I get in the output window:
[...]
Compiling libraries...
Compiling library "Utils Library"
Library Utils Library has been declared precompiled:
Using precompiled library in d:\Projects\Arduino\libraries\Utils\src
The platform does not support 'compiler.libraries.ldflags' for precompiled libraries.
[...]

In libraries\Utils I have these files/folders:
src (folder)
library.properties

library.properties contains this:
name=Utils Library
version=0.0.0
author=lahr
maintainer=lahr <lahr@~~~~~~.~>
sentence=Utils Library
paragraph=Provides Common GP Utilities
category=Other
url=
architectures=*
depends=
dot_a_linkage=true
precompiled=full

In the src folder I have these files:
libUtils.a
Utils.cpp
Utils.h

I've searched my C: drive for every instance of platform.txt and copied a platform.local.txt file into those folders that contains this line:
compiler.libraries.ldflags=

When that didn't fix it I also tried editing every platform.txt file to add the above line, and to modify the recipe.c.combine.pattern line:
recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.gcc.cmd}" "-T{build.ldscript}" "-Wl,-Map,{build.path}/{build.project_name}.map" -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.axf" {object_files} {libs.all} {compiler.ld.flags} {compiler.libraries.ldflags} {defines.ld}

I have spent many hours chasing this problem, and no change. Is it possible to do this with IDE v2.2.1?

Thanks!
Larry
By paulvha
Once I saw this topic.. I wondered what ??
As such I did a deepdive to understand, analyze precompiled libraries and find a solution for the Sparkfun Artemins/Apollo3 V2.2.1 library. The issue is NOT because of the Arduino-IDE... it is a combination of Sparkfun's library and the compiler.

Attached in the zip file is a document that can be opened by any word processor providing insight in
  • pros and cons for pre-compiled libraries
  • developing and using pre-compiled libraries with Arduino-IDE
  • what changes to apply for Sparkfun's Apollo3 boards library to make it to work
Next to that find the adjusted boards.txt and platform.txt for the V2.2.1 Sparkfun's Apollo3 boards library if you do not want to make the changes yourself.

This has been tested and working on both 1.18.16 and V 2.2.2 Arduino-IDE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum