SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Topics pertaining to the Arduino Core & software used with the Artemis module and Artemis development boards.
By Richard Hole
Hi

I am seeking to get some data loggers made up to collect weather data to provide a service to help get more weather stations in the area to help communities. I am wondering if you have what I need below and if not, do you know where I could get it?

I saw https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12772 and wonder if it will do what I need. Someone also suggested an Arduino system would be a good way to go.
I would like to be able to add weather sensors of my choice to the system and have it work like my current system which now uses old technology being a parallel printer port. A system that uses USB would be better.

Currently I have a system that samples voltages between 0 and 5 volts on 10 input ports and I have software that lists each sample in a table that can opened in Microsoft Excel and pasted into a file with formulas to calculate the values for temperature, rainfall, light, wind direction and wind speed. Currently, my system takes a sample every half a second so that each hour there are about 7200 lines of data in the file. My current system can therefore sample data from 10 different weather sensors.

The anemometers output a frequency so I also use a frequency to voltage converter to convert the frequency to the voltages. However, another possibility would be to use a data logger circuit like what I would like above but only samples the frequency values directly on some of the ports instead of the voltages.

Currently I use a wired system which I could use. However, I would also like to try a wireless system or alternatively adapt a wireless transmitter to an existing wired system.

Do you have any circuit boards or kits that could be made up to do log voltages or frequency from multiple ports so software can display them in a table like I am seeking?

Do you also have any circuits that enable frequency to voltage conversion for anemometers?

If so, what do they cost?

Regards Richard.
By bidrohini
SparkFun Logomatic v2 - Serial SD Datalogger (FAT32) lets you add different types of sensors for measuring temperature, humidity, wind speed etc. For converting anemometer frequency to voltage, you can use a frequency-to-voltage converter like LM2917 by TI.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum