SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Topics pertaining to the Arduino Core & software used with the Artemis module and Artemis development boards.
By bm16ton
Hello,
Love my artemis nano, great product I recommend to everyone. Theres been sum small oversights in the various arduino support releases, all forgivable things like pin definitions missing or incorrect etc. No big deal. But all my PC's are arm64 and its sorta a pain to jerry rig it into my arduino (well at least a big enuff pain to make updating something Ill only do if required) and AKAIK the only reason for it not supporting arm64 is lack of boards support package, packaging an arm64 compiler/toolchain. I actually havent checked in a while so maybe this has been added? Or will be soon? For anyone who wants official stm32/ sparkfun artemis support (both just need a toolchain so similiar)
1. make sure no url for the board support package is listed, if it is remove it.
2. The easiest way to get the required files for artemis is to install on X86 pc first and copy files over. The files/folders are slightly different locations from reg install compared to hacked in/portable install. So on a non portable arduino install ~/.arduino15/packages/ Is where the Sparkfun files for artemis are. Copy those files to the arm64 box inside the arduino/hardware folder IE /home/maddocks/arduino-1.8.13/hardware/SparkFun . Now inside the Sparkfun folder make it so only 2 folders exist apollo3 and tools. Apollo3 folder needs to contain the standard core files boards.txt platform.txt etc. The tools folder is where the toolchain goes.
3 Download your fav arm-gcc toolchain for artemis arm-gcc8 I think is what comes stock from sparkfun, anything older then that and i had mbed crash errors on serial writes etc so need 8 or newer i use 9.2.1 with no issues that i can find. Now u can simply overwrite the files in the existing folder names IE 8-2018-q4-major with the 9.2.1 files or change foldernames to match the new version, only matters on next step.
4. Edit platform.txt look for the line starting with compiler.path= and we need to point this to our new toolchain,if keeping the stock folder name should be like this;
compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/SparkFun/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/8-2018-q4-major/bin/

I cant remember having to do anything else, and this is same procedure for the official stm32 arduino support. Probly a ton of better writeups for this I dunno, hopefully This helps someone. Again great product , def recommend! Please add arm64 toolchain if havent already.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum