SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Topics pertaining to the Arduino Core & software used with the Artemis module and Artemis development boards.
By juhan
After uploading Experiment8_BLE_LED (Sparkfun 1.0.30) to RedBoard and MicroMod these could be found with BluePixel scanner.
Uploading to Artemis Module this could not be found. Uploading to the Module was OK and also indicated by an added LED blink.
(As MicroMod board was not selectable I 'cheated' and choose Module as board for compiling and loading to MicroMod)

Uploading ArduinoBLE..Central..Scan (Sparkfun 2.04) gave same result - found for RedBoard and MicroMod but not for the Module.

What could be the problem ?
Juhan
By paulvha
hi

Help me understand your situation better.
Is the Module running 2.0.x or SDK or 1.0.x library ?
If NOT 2.0.x have you tried to use 2.0.x and the choose one the peripheral examples to load ?
Have you tried to look with nRF connect on your mobile for the module BLE ?
If on 2.0.x can you turn on BLE.debug(Serial) in setup and see what messages you get ?
By juhan
Paul,
thanks for taking the time to look into my problem with the Artemis Module not being detected by scanners.

Arduino IDE 1.8.9, Windows 7, Sparkfun 1.0.30
Artemis Module, Example8_BLE_LED

After compiling and uploading this is what I can see:

Artemis SVL Bootloader
Got SVL Bootloader Version: 3
[##################################################]Upload complete

From Serial Monitor:
Apollo3 Arduino BLE Example. Compiled: 15:06:11
fm: NusHandlerInit, file: ..\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_614732\sketch\nus_main.c, line: 1046
fm: NusStart, file: ..\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_614732\sketch\nus_main.c, line: 1130
fm: tagAttCback, file: ..\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_614732\sketch\nus_main.c, line: 384
fm: NusHandler, file: ...\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_614732\sketch\nus_main.c, line: 1090
fm: tagProcMsg, file: ...\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_614732\sketch\nus_main.c, line: 912
pMsg->hdr.event: 0x0052

Not found with BLE Scanners rNF Connect , BluePixel or Pally on an iPAD.

Uploading to Artemis MicroMOD or RedBoard these can be found by the scanners.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Sparkfun 2.0.4 and Examples/Not Compatible/ArduinoBLE/Periferal/LED these are the responses I got
arm-none-eabi-g++: error: .....\apollo3\2.0.4\variants\SFE_ARTEMIS_MODULE/mbed/.cxx-flags: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-g++: error: .....\apollo3\2.0.4\variants\SFE_ARTEMIS_MODULE/mbed/.includes: No such file or directory
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Artemis Module.

I renamed the file SFE_ARTEMIS to SFE_ARTEMIS_MODULE and compilation was OK.

Artemis SVL Bootloader
Got SVL Bootloader Version: 3
[##################################################]Upload complete

From Serial Monitor:
starting BLE failed!

Uploading to Artemis MicroMOD or RedBoard these can be found by the scanners.

Regards
Juhan
By paulvha
looking at 2.0.4, the starting of the BLE failing is very basic low end.

In the libraries directory of ArduinoBLE, in the local folder, find BLElocalDevice.cpp. Here is where begin() is around line 42.
Code: Select all
Rename int BLELocalDevice::begin() to int BLELocalDevice::begin_org().
Now copy passed from below a begin() that shows where it fails..
Code: Select all
int BLELocalDevice::begin()
{

// REMOVED PIN SETTINGS NOT RELEVANT FOR APOLLO3
Serial.print("Before HCI.begin\n");
  if (!HCI.begin()) {
    end();
    return 0;
  }

delay(1000);  // increased paulvha
Serial.print("Before HCI.reset\n");
  if (HCI.reset() != 0) {
    end();

return 0;
  }

delay(1000);  // added paulvha
Serial.print("Before READLOCALVERSION\n");
  uint8_t hciVer;
  uint16_t hciRev;
  uint8_t lmpVer;
  uint16_t manufacturer;
  uint16_t lmpSubVer;

if (HCI.readLocalVersion(hciVer, hciRev, lmpVer, manufacturer, lmpSubVer) != 0) {
    end();
    return 0;
  }
Serial.print("Before setEventMask\n");
  if (HCI.setEventMask(0x3FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) != 0) {
    end();
    return 0;
  }

uint16_t pktLen;
  uint8_t maxPkt;
Serial.print("Before readLeBufferSize\n");
  if (HCI.readLeBufferSize(pktLen, maxPkt) != 0) {
    end();
    return 0;
  }
Serial.print("Before GATT BEGIN\n");
  GATT.begin();
Serial.print("DONE\n");
  return 1;
}
Save the file and recompile/ rerun on Artemis to see where it fails.
By juhan
Paul,

Renameing was not take well by the compiler but without that change I got the following from the module after upload:
Before HCI.begin
Before HCI.reset
starting BLE failed!

This is from compiling :
...\BLELocalDevice.cpp:42:5: error: no declaration matches 'int BLELocalDevice::begin_org()'
int BLELocalDevice::begin_org()
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BLELocalDevice.cpp:42:5: note: no functions named 'int BLELocalDevice::begin_org()'
In file included from .....\ArduinoBLE\src\local\BLELocalDevice.cpp:26:
....\ArduinoBLE\src\local\BLELocalDevice.h:26:7: note: 'class BLELocalDevice' defined here
class BLELocalDevice {
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
exit status
Error compiling for board Artemis Module.

Thanks again !
Juhan
By paulvha
I should have known about the begin_org () error. Sorry for that ! HCI.reset() is the first real command where return value is checked when sent to the HCI physical layer on the Apollo3 chip. NO BLE communication is happening, just local communication between the Apollo3 chip and ArduinoBLE. Maybe your Artemis module is in error. I can try to look to make a debug version to show more detail tomorrow ( evening my time).
By juhan
Thanks a lot Paul !
I appreciate your help but will be away tomorow so take your time and only if you find it interesting.
I have tested with two different modules but my soldering iron might have a bit hot.

Juhan
By paulvha
I took couple hours to study schematics and code to find reasons why your 2 different modules would not work. But I have not really found anything that could cause it.

The only one aspect I noticed is that the Artemis Module has an 32 Khz Xtal, which is only used for BLE AND only if enabled. The other Artemis modules (like on OpenLog, ATP or Micromod) have a 32.782Khz Xtal, but that is used with the main clock. (mainly calibration) These Xtal's are also connected to different pins. The BLE code is expecting sourcing from the HFRC, internal MCU clock and NOT the external 32KHz. I have not found a place in the code where it will set for 32KHZ external (e.g. based on Artemis Module) Seems another person already wondered why the 32 Xtal is there : viewtopic.php?f=170&t=54804&p=222850&hi ... le#p222850. I don't think it is used.

Couple of things to try :
Depending on the chip version, some additional BLE registers are set. In attached Ino you can check yours as well as compare to my output in the top of the sketch. Try that and see whether it compares.

Select an RedBoard ATP instead of Artemis Module, compile and load that to the Artemis Module (the pins will not match.. but maybe BLE will at least work) Not expecting much from this .. but you never know..

In arduinoBLE/src/local/BLELocalDevice.cpp in begin(), around line 89 comment out the reset check:
// if (HCI.reset() != 0) {
// end();
//
// return 0;
// }

In ArduinoBLE/src/utility/HCICordioTransport.cpp begin () around line 207 comment out :
//CordioHCIHook::getDriver().start_reset_sequence();

In ArduinoBLE/src/utility/HCICordioTransport.cpp in bleloop() (around line 114):
set a Serial.print("BLELOOP\n"); in the top just to be sure it is called.

In ArduinoBLE/src/utility/HCICordioTransport.cpp in bleloop() ):
set a Serial.print("checking WSF\n"); just before wsfOsDispatcher();(line 144) it will be called many times, but just to make sure it is called (remove it once you know)

Else I am out of thoughts for the moment.. maybe a heating issue, maybe you can return the boards. If not.. a last wild idea.. remove the 30Khz Xtal and see what happens..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By juhan
Many thanks for your efforts Paul.
I received some alternative BLE modules today and will leave Artemis for the time being and
test your suggestions later.
I have learned a lot from your input so Thanks a lot !
Juhan
By juhan
Paul,

Made a last check to test versions with your script and got this
(used Module but compiled as ATP board)

Check revisions
Apollo3_B0 : 0
Apollo3_A1 : 1
Apollo3_A0 : 0
APOLLO3_GE_B0 : 0
APOLLO3_GE_A1 : 1
Before HCI.begin
Before HCI.reset
Before READLOCALVERSION
HCI COMMAND TX -> 01011000
Error: Can not initialize BLE
By rsbohn
Hard Fault after I call BLE.begin().

Artemis RTC
U8 OK
BME280 OK
RTC set to 2021-3-6

++ MbedOS Fault Handler ++

FaultType: HardFault

Context:
R0: 10007868
R1: 0
R2: 0
R3: 1775230
R4: 0
R5: 10007844
R6: 32A40
R7: 1
R8: 800000B
R9: 0
R10: 0
R11: 0
R12: 2B4C1
SP : 10007730
LR : 2D67F
PC : 2D69A
xPSR : 21000000
PSP : 100076C8
MSP : 1005FF70
CPUID: 410FC241
HFSR : 40000000
MMFSR: 82
BFSR : 0
UFSR : 0
DFSR : 0
AFSR : 0
MMFAR: 32A40
Mode : Thread
Priv : Privileged
Stack: PSP

-- MbedOS Fault Handler --

++ MbedOS Error Info ++
Error Status: 0x80FF013D Code: 317 Module: 255
Error Message: Fault exception
Error Value: 0x100067A0
Current Thread: main Id: 0x10004B90 Entry: 0x2A415 StackSize: 0x1000 StackMem: 0x10006800 SP: 0x10007730
For more info, visit: https://mbed.com/s/error?error=0x80FF01 ... FE_ARTEMIS
-- MbedOS Error Info --
By juhan
Refering to the above mbed problem by rsbohn
After updating to a new Windows 10 computer and installing IDE 8.13, Sparkfun 2.05 and ArduinoBLE 1.2.0 I also got the 'same' error Code: 317 Module: 255.
I did not se this with 8.09 , 1.0.30 and 2.04.
Uploading was OK but opening Serial monitor I found the mbed message.
Reverting back to 1.0.30 this Mbed message went away. In no case was BLE working.
Anyone who has been able to get BLE to work with the Artemis Module ?
Juhan
By juhan
Thanks for the tip rodri_e but unfortunately it did not help - neither on my old installation or the new freshly installed pc .
But good to know that the module at least has worked for someone.
Juhan
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum