SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Topics pertaining to the Arduino Core & software used with the Artemis module and Artemis development boards.
By paulvha
After installing library version 2.0.3 on Ubuntu and trying to upload to the ATP board:

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/home/paul/.arduino15/packages/SparkFun/hardware/apollo3/2.0.3/tools/uploaders/asb/dist/linux/asb": error=13, Permission denied

To solve: goto the directory and type
chmod +x asb

(same is approach is needed for svl, just a different directory)
By RandomHack
Just got 2.0.4 installed and see that it fixed the asb permission error, but the svl is still defaulted to r/w permissions only, not executable.

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/home/user/.arduino15/packages/SparkFun/hardware/apollo3/2.0.4/tools/uploaders/svl/dist/linux/svl": error=13, Permission denied
By EarlyRiser
I am using Artemis ATP and unable to upload Blink because of the same issue found in 2.0.4 and I am using Mac OS 11.2 and Arduino 1.8.12
Here is the upload error -
Cannot run program "/Users/f3/Library/Arduino15/packages/SparkFun/hardware/apollo3/2.0.5/tools/uploaders/svl/dist/macosx/svl": error=13, Permission denied

I unable to try a fix like Paul suggested earlier because once I open the ...macOS/svl file I am unable to read the characters, let alone try and add a new line.

Is there a workaround/fix? thanks
By EarlyRiser
Paul - thanks, I was able to use Terminal to allow to execute svl and the svl image tuned black. Trying to upload Blink to the Artemis ATP board with Sparkfun Variable Loader 57600 baud rate. The upload process stopped at line 38 (see error message below).

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
[27881] Failed to execute script svl
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "svl.py", line 38, in <module>
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 983, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 967, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 677, in _load_unlocked
File "/Users/runner/hostedtoolcache/Python/3.7.8/x64/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 623, in exec_module
File "site-packages/serial/tools/list_ports.py", line 29, in <module>
File "/Users/runner/hostedtoolcache/Python/3.7.8/x64/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 623, in exec_module
File "site-packages/serial/tools/list_ports_posix.py", line 31, in <module>
File "site-packages/serial/tools/list_ports_osx.py", line 32, in <module>
ValueError: dlsym(RTLD_DEFAULT, kIOMasterPortDefault): symbol not found

As a side note on a Win10 I am able to get Blink to complete a SVL upload at 57600 baud. So is my Mac issue with OS 11.2?
By adam.g
Hi @EarlyRiser,

macOS Big Sur users have been unable to upload code to Artemis-based boards using v1.2.1 of the Apollo3 Core since the OS updated last November. This appears to also apply to v2.0.x of the core. I can confirm that I receive the same error after applying "chmod +x svl". Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a high priority to fix.

Please see GitHub issue: https://github.com/sparkfun/Arduino_Apollo3/issues/299

Cheers,
Adam
By EarlyRiser
Adam - thanks for the GitHub link on Big Sur issue. I have another Mac with Catalina and I was going to try my ATP on it, but discovered I did not have a proper USB C adapter. That is coming tomorrow and I will try Arduino 1.8.12 and Artemis Core 2.0.5 and report.
By adam.g
Good luck!

I had to downgrade my iMac to macOS Catalina (10.15.7) to continue to be able to upload code to the Artemis and I can confirm it still works for 1.2.1 and I believe 2.0.x (though beware the instability of this core).

Cheers,
Adam
By paulvha
The issue is that svl (and asb) are generated executables based on the original py-programs. As OSX Big Sur release changed the way the serial port is handled this will fail. On previous systems this executable works. Why OSX did not keep backward compatibility? Ask Apple !.

With pyinstaller you can create a new svl to execute based on the original py-programs (tried on Ubuntu, but the principal is the same for OSX)

Python3 should be on your system (Python 2.7 is retired..)
Install the pyinstaller on your system : pip3 install pyinstaller
Go to the svl folder : /Users/f3/Library/Arduino15/packages/SparkFun/hardware/apollo3/2.0.5/tools/uploaders/svl/
Run : pyinstaller --onefile svl.py
This will generate a new svl in sub-folder dist.
cd dist/macosx/
make copy of the original, just in case you want to keep it : cp svl to svl.org
copy the new version: cp ../svl .
Now try to compile and upload.
By adam.g
Hi Paul,

While I agree that Apple is ultimately at fault for this issue, I believe macOS users of the Artemis should have had more support from SparkFun over the last 2+ months, if even if in the form of an official workaround. I appreciate the insight and suggested fix.

Cheers,
Adam
By EarlyRiser
On Mac OS 10.14.6, Artemis Core 2.0.5, and Arduino 1.8.12 I was able to get Blink to upload to the ATP once I granted permission to run macOS/svl - only at very slow baud rates.

I concur with Adam that Sparkfun should make more of an attempt to keep their products compatible with Mac OS.

I also appreciate Paul's efforts to throw us a life raft too - thanks!
By TS-John
We have looked into these issues and have found the following to be useful in this situation:

Don’t install SparkFun drivers – just use the default ones Apple provides

If the old drivers are installed, you need to remove them. This might help: https://community.platformio.org/t/trou ... macos/9522

You may need to run a slower upload speed. Max of 460800 worked for us. At the 921600 speed, we would get a weird error talking about COM ports (no com ports on a mac). SVL fails about 40% of the time still.

The later versions of Artemis boards package still has a svl permission error and SVL won’t execute. We are working on a fix now.

I hope this helps.
By ArizonaClark
As many times as I've thought that "Apple" has a silent "road" prefix, I'm starting to have my doubts on blaming this one on them.

After several months off doing other things (including upgrading to Arduino 1.8.13) on my MacBook that is running OSX 10.13.6 (High Sierra), I found that I had to download the 2.0.5 version of the Artemis package before it would even show me the Red Board Artemis. (I got Qwiic Alphanumeric Displays, and wanted to try them out -- the Red Board Artemis was handy and has a Qwiic connector, plus the project I have in mind will involve BLE.) Anyway, I quickly found and fix the permissions problem on svl (hey, for someone using *nix since the late 70s, that was a no-brainer, and I certainly know from experience how easy it is to miss the "x" bit).

However, I'm still getting the following messages:
Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "RedBoard Artemis, 921600, SparkFun Variable Loader (Recommended)"

Sketch uses 125200 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 983040 bytes.
Global variables use 41888 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 351328 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 393216 bytes.
[28101] Error loading Python lib '/var/folders/z8/4nv7zsqj70b2ln148yhxr3n80000gn/T/_MEI5PeYf8/libpython3.7m.dylib': dlopen: dlopen(/var/folders/z8/4nv7zsqj70b2ln148yhxr3n80000gn/T/_MEI5PeYf8/libpython3.7m.dylib, 10): Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin
Referenced from: /var/folders/z8/4nv7zsqj70b2ln148yhxr3n80000gn/T/_MEI5PeYf8/libintl.8.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /var/folders/z8/4nv7zsqj70b2ln148yhxr3n80000gn/T/_MEI5PeYf8/libintl.8.dylib
the selected serial port in /var/folders/z8/4nv7zsqj70b2ln148yhxr3n80000gn/T/_MEI5PeYf8/libintl.8.dylib
does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
Thinking I might have zapped the Red Board at hand, I got out a "virgin" one (after opening the antistatic bag it was in), and had similar results. I also tried all 5 speeds. Looking at the suggested page for "removing the driver", it said that if you're using an older version of MacOS (and can't "upgrade"), get the driver -- but the link they provide just times out.

The frustrating thing is that I had the Red Board Artemis working a few months ago...
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum