SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Topics pertaining to the Arduino Core & software used with the Artemis module and Artemis development boards.
By wirelessdreamer
I picked up a couple blackboard nano's months ago, and am trying to get some examples to push to them. I'm seeing this after adding apollo support setting the serial port, and picking a basic example:

Sketch uses 78612 bytes (8%) of program storage space. Maximum is 960000 bytes.
[26792] Failed to execute script artemis_svl

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "artemis_svl.py", line 421, in <module>
File "artemis_svl.py", line 349, in main
Artemis SVL Bootloader
File "artemis_svl.py", line 181, in phase_setup
File "artemis_svl.py", line 137, in wait_for_packet
IndexError: index out of range
IndexError: index out of range

Any ideas?
By kurt.schaefer
I have that exact same error in artemis_svl.py when trying to upload to my Artemis BlackBoard. (Not nano)
When I found this post I was excited since I thought burning a new bootloader would fix it.
However when I try to burn a bootloader it fails like this:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "SparkFun RedBoard Artemis, 921600, SparkFun Variable Loader (Recommended)"

java.lang.NullPointerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.burnBootloader(SerialUploader.java:329)
at processing.app.Editor.lambda$handleBurnBootloader$61(Editor.java:2379)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Error while burning bootloader.

Is there something else I can try? I'm doing this from a macbook pro running Catalina 10.15.5 and the BlackBoard did power up and shows up under /dev/cu.wchusbserial1430

Thanks!
By liquid.soulder
What version of the Arduino core do you have installed? That error seems like an internal Arduino error regarding an inability to actually run the correct bootloader. Also, it does not exactly seem like the correct "Programmer" is selected from the Tools menu. To upgrade the bootloader you should have "Ambiq Secure Bootloader" selected as the programmer. Try those things out and let us know how it goes
By kurt.schaefer
Thank you for responding. I'm using the SparkFun Apolo 3 boards version 1.1.1 (Which is the current latest)
I've tried using both the" SparkFun Variable Loader (Recommended)", and "Ambiq Secure Bootloader (Advanced)"and they produce the same error:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "SparkFun RedBoard Artemis, 921600, Ambiq Secure Bootloader (Advanced)"

java.lang.NullPointerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.burnBootloader(SerialUploader.java:329)
at processing.app.Editor.lambda$handleBurnBootloader$61(Editor.java:2379)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Error while burning bootloader.
By liquid.soulder
How frustrating... usually when I run into similar errors a fresh installation of Arduino helps, but that's not a satisfying fix sadly.

You could also try to use these two upload scripts directly (using Python or the pre-compiled binaries). The first is for use with the built-in Ambiq Secure Bootloader and the second requires the SparkFun Variable Loader to be flashed first.

https://github.com/sparkfun/SparkFun_Ap ... n2board.py
https://github.com/sparkfun/SparkFun_Ap ... mis_svl.py
By kurt.schaefer
Oh my gosh! That worked. I didn't give it much chance since it WAS a fresh install of Arduino, but I re-installed it and now everything is fine! *smack forehead* I didn't even have to update the bootloader. Crazy. Well I'm sorry I was using up your time. Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help. It's funny how on many micro-controller projects the most frustrating part is just getting the bits though the tool chain for the first time.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum